Anyone use Sigma 24-105mm DG F/4 Art lens?

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I want to buy this lens: Link to lens (Sigma website) I was wondering if anyone had any experience using it for landscapes or just using it in general? Anyone using it with a Nikon D700 I'd be most interested to hear from too.

I realise it is not as wide as it could be for landscapes, but I have been using a 28-70mm tokina at-x-pro and I find that sufficiently wide enough.

The fact its not water sealed is a con but the reports of its sharpness offsets the lack of waterproofing.

I had the Nikon fit version with my D750 and was happy enough with it. It balanced well with the camera and I loved the colours and contrast from the images. I never felt it was bitingly sharp but I never bothered MA-ing it. Laziness on my part. I never realised it wasn’t weather sealed when I bought it, I just forgot to check. I used mine in light rain and snow with no issues. It’s a good value for money lens imho. Don’t forget the filter size is 82mm.

Yes I have that lens, I had the Canon 24-105mm f4 L lens but dropped it in the sea, so after insurance paid out I researched both lenses and the Sigma Art came out on top, and am very happy with it.

I have recently bought one second hand for my D600. Very pleased with it. Borders slightly softer compared to the (bitingly sharp) centre, but not out of line with what I remember from my previous Tamron 24-70 2.8. It's very liberating to have the extra range and VR. I have managed to get sharp shots at 1/10 although the hit rate is better at 1/20. Bokeh seems nice.

I had the Nikon fit version with my D750 and was happy enough with it. It balanced well with the camera and I loved the colours and contrast from the images. I never felt it was bitingly sharp but I never bothered MA-ing it. Laziness on my part. I never realised it wasn’t weather sealed when I bought it, I just forgot to check. I used mine in light rain and snow with no issues. It’s a good value for money lens imho. Don’t forget the filter size is 82mm.
Jason, thanks for your reply. I have a rain cover I got off ebay so I can offer it some protection. Yes the filter size. Big filter @ 82mm and just a big a price for these bad boys!

Yes I have that lens, I had the Canon 24-105mm f4 L lens but dropped it in the sea, so after insurance paid out I researched both lenses and the Sigma Art came out on top, and am very happy with it.

Sorry to hear about your Canon lens. Out of interest, did it sink deep? Thanks for your reply though.

Sorry to hear about your Canon lens. Out of interest, did it sink deep? Thanks for your reply though.
I was taking long exposure sea shots on the beach, camera (70D) and the lens were on my tripod, the surf was very slight but one of the tripod legs sank into the soft sand and it toppled forward into the water, I rushed in to grab it within seconds but the salt water had got in ... but my insurance was very good (ask me to send them into a Canon dealer of their choice and them confirming that they were beyond repair) and after supplying them with new prices for both they paid up really quickly.

I was taking long exposure sea shots on the beach, camera (70D) and the lens were on my tripod, the surf was very slight but one of the tripod legs sank into the soft sand and it toppled forward into the water, I rushed in to grab it within seconds but the salt water had got in ... but my insurance was very good (ask me to send them into a Canon dealer of their choice and them confirming that they were beyond repair) and after supplying them with new prices for both they paid up really quickly.

Oh what a nightmare that was, all good in the end thanks to insurance! To be honest I haven't got my gear insured. And I think it would be a good idea to get me some. May I ask if you got special insurence or maybe home and contents insurance would suffice?

I have recently bought one second hand for my D600. Very pleased with it. Borders slightly softer compared to the (bitingly sharp) centre, but not out of line with what I remember from my previous Tamron 24-70 2.8. It's very liberating to have the extra range and VR. I have managed to get sharp shots at 1/10 although the hit rate is better at 1/20. Bokeh seems nice.
Thank for replying ihasa. I'm looking forward to ordering my lens now

Thanks for that info, I'm gonna look into getti g my camera insured. Great shot BTW! Those hills I'm the background look so much like the Isle of Arran up here in Ayrshire.

I done a search to see if it was arran to settle my curiosity and I did see it was, however I see similarities in the landscape.

I done a search to see if it was arran to settle my curiosity and I did see it was, however I see similarities in the landscape.
It's actually from Llandanwg beach about 1 mile south of Harlech where I had my caravan, but thought nobody would know that location.

I got the nikon mount, great lens and imo very sharp, one point of failure is it has lens creap, whereas if its pointed up and you have it at 105 it could reduce in focal length by itself.
Photo from Oulu Finland taken with said lens.
Ps, about -8 temp [emoji3063]
2021-01-04_07-06-08.jpg

I got the nikon mount, great lens and imo very sharp, one point of failure is it has lens creap, whereas if its pointed up and you have it at 105 it could reduce in focal length by itself.
Photo from Oulu Finland taken with said lens.
Ps, about -8 temp [emoji3063]
View attachment 304325
Graham thanks for your reply. Great image and love the colours, it certainly looks cold!

So I have managed to get myself a 24-105mm sigma. I secured a good deal on fleabay for a mint condition sigma. Can't wait till Saturday :D

Graham thanks for your reply. Great image and love the colours, it certainly looks cold!
It was absolutely lovely in-fact as we was layered in thermal underwear and a -20 Parker. Coldest was -18 to -20 and my wife`s hair got frozen which was hilarious.
Enjoy your new Lens.

Wow that's freezing temps.. I wonder if that was cold enough to instantly freeze water thrown in the air (saw that once on yt).

Wow that's freezing temps.. I wonder if that was cold enough to instantly freeze water thrown in the air (saw that once on yt).
I think that`s -25+ so no fun for us. All I can say is that it`s a different cold and as we live in the Southeast of France you would think that I wouldn`t like it but I did.

I think that`s -25+ so no fun for us. All I can say is that it`s a different cold and as we live in the Southeast of France you would think that I wouldn`t like it but I did.
I know what you mean, I'm loving this weather up north of the border just now.. Not quite as cold but cold and awesome enough. Unfortunatley the thaw is on here today.

Back