Anyone use the Canon 500mm f4 lens?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wanting a bit advice on this lens as I've been contemplating getting one for a few weeks now (although the wife wants a new kitchen! so bit of a dilemma).

The lens will cost around 4 grand (+£1000 for a decent tripod and head). Is it really one of the best lenses for wildlife work? or would you recommend alternatives around the same price range?

I have been using a 30D and a Sigma50-500 for the last couple of years but I now want to upgrade. I am also considering a 1D MkIII, so does anyone use this combination?

Apologise for all the questions, but any advice would be appreciated,
Cheers, Mark.

Just wanting a bit advice on this lens as I've been contemplating getting one for a few weeks now (although the wife wants a new kitchen! so bit of a dilemma).

The lens will cost around 4 grand (+£1000 for a decent tripod and head). Is it really one of the best lenses for wildlife work? or would you recommend alternatives around the same price range?

I have been using a 30D and a Sigma50-500 for the last couple of years but I now want to upgrade. I am also considering a 1D MkIII, so does anyone use this combination?

Apologise for all the questions, but any advice would be appreciated,
Cheers, Mark.

A friend of the family uses one mainly for deer & birds and occasionally the zoo's. He seems to love it and prefers it to his other lenses and he has a nice set , He uses it on his 20d.

He is very picky about tripods and actually prefers a monopod for most lenses.

Dont know about comarisons with other lenses but it definatly takes some cracking pictures

I use one bought it about 5 months ago (second hand and mint for £2700), use it with a Manfrotto 393 head an absolute bargain for a £100, having used the 500 f4 on my bodies (10d 20d and 5d) it produces crystal clear images, and there not to shabby with either of the extenders either, prefer the 1.4 as that way I get af (y) If using in a hide, I prefer a bean bag, althogh the 393 is very good it does look a bit agricultural, performs really well though, and gives a good solid support, also easy to get hold of and carry the tripod by it when the lens is on.

It a big lens, and I would recommend a Lowepro lens trekker, mine fits with a body on, and either a lens coat or similar from www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk or do as I do and use a Buff (available from just about any outdoor shop)

If you need more come back (y)

I've got one and about 2/3 of my pics in the time since I got it were taken on the 500. It's been to Scotland, Norway and Kenya with me so far and if I could only keep one lens, this is it.

Some swear by the 600 but it is significantly bigger and heavier. I've used the 500 for bird in flight shots and it is hand holdable for short bursts. It is by far the crispest lens I own. There is a brief bit from me about it in the reviews section here.

Paul

I met Ben Hall a few weeks back with one thrown over his shoulder attached to a 1D MKIII...looked a mean bit of kit!

I know a couple of Wildlife togs (one pro) and both use the Sigma 500 f4.5 and love 'em.

I have a good friend who uses the Sigma 500. It has a couple of shortfalls compared with the Canon.

1. No IS
2. It doesn't take teleconverters and retain AF (unless you tape the pins)

It is certainly better value than the Canon and significantly smaller - so more managable but I am convinced I made the right choice.

The 500mm f/4 is an awesome bit of kit. I wish I had more time to play with "mine".

Personally though, I prefer the 300mm f/2.8. Whilst still large, it's a fair bit smaller than the 500, and much easier to manage. But the real bonus for me is that it accepts teleconverters like they weren't there - absolutely minimal impact on image quality - so depending on your needs it can be a 300mm f/2.8, 420mm f/4 or 60mm f/5.6.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
One of my main concerns is what support to use with the lens. I currently use a monopod which I like using, but I know I should probably get a good quality tripod and gimbal head (e.g. Gitzo with Wimberley mk2). I'm not a big fan of using tripods and I do a lot of work in hides and confined spaces. Would you say that getting a tripod is essential for using this lens? Its not that I'm a skinflint and want to save money; i realise that if I pay 4 grand for a lens you have to get the best out of it. What are your thoughts on this?
Cheers again, Mark.

It's a heavy lens to ue hand-held. It can be done but I wouldn't fancy doing it for any extended period. If your "confined spaces" bring you near to the ground then you could use a bean-bag or use your elbows as a tripod (sniper-style), but otherwise I'd say a tripod is going to be fairly useful.

I use the Canon 500mm f4L for the bulk of my bird photography, and I can only highly recommend it.

Using this lens with the 1.4 TC, it's highly debatable if there's any perceptible drop in IQ. Even using the 2X TC it's possible to achieve excellent results in good conditions.

500mm (No TC)

OY8N6827-01.jpg

700mm (1.4X TC)

2331193176_510282ffdd_o.jpg

1000mm (2X TC)

OY8N7633-01.jpg

I can't seriously consider this lens as one to be used other than on a tripod - it's big and heavy!

Some factors you need to consider

Tripod

The more solid the better. If I were buying a tripod specifically for this lens I'd get one without any centre column - just a sold platform to mount the head to. Lighter tripods can be used though with care and good technique.

Gimbal Head

Absolutely essential IMO. I'd highly recommend the Manfrotto 393 - at a 100 quid it's far cheaper than the alternatives

Long Lens Bag.

You'll need one! The hard case this lens comes in is very impressive but useless except for travel and storage.

It's White!

Not ideal for wildlife work so you'll need either one of the rip off cammo lens coats, or with a bit of ingenuity you can easily knock something up yourself.

Hope that helps? Any questions please just ask. :)

Thanks for the advice. Love your bird shots CT. Your convincing me more and more to get the 500mm with superb sharp images like this.(y)

I use the Canon 500mm f4L for the bulk of my bird photography, and I can only highly recommend it.
Do you ever think you should have gone for the 600mm or are you pretty happy that the 500mm is the best compromise?

Do you ever think you should have gone for the 600mm or are you pretty happy that the 500mm is the best compromise?

I'm entirely happy that the 500mm was the right choice for me. There's no doubting that when you want maximum reach there's no substitute for the 600, but I prefer the weight advantage of the 500 and using the two converter options makes it a very flexible lens. Sensor size also makes an enormous difference to the effectiveness of these lenses.

Hi

I used to use the 500mm + converters on a 1Dmk2n + gitzo + gimbal head, really loved it and the pics were superb, link below to some of my stuff

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=11956

I then changed to a 600mm as I needed the extra reach, link below for those stuff,

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=30514

You will love the 500mm

You dont need £1K for tripod and head, you should do it for less

Gitzo GT3540LS £420 ish from USA / Kerso (approx price)
Gimbal head between approx £350 from usa / kerso there are quite a few to choose from and they all have good and bad points the Wimberley is not the necessarily the one to go for. I have owned the following, Wimberley Mk1 + Mk2 + Sidekick, Kirk king cobra, manfrotto, Jobu black widow heavy duty. I currently use the Jobu and find it more stable than the wimberleys.
If I had to rank them in order of my favorite / best up to the job it would be jobu, kirk, wimberley

good luck with your purchase

Back