Anyone used 200-600mm with A7ii, A7iii and A9?

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Sony A7ii and a 200-600mm lens.
I like it a lot but the af is not great.
I'm looking to upgrade to another body, and was thinking about an A9.
I know I wouldn't regret getting an A9, and if I get the A7iii I might end up wishing I'd got the A9.
However, there's a significant difference in price between the A7iii and A9 that could go towards say a 17-35mm f4 lens.
Has anyone used all 3 of these combinations?
If so, what are your thoughts and experiences?
I don't really need 20fps, but want very good af.
With the 200-600mm I shoot mainly wildlife and birds, but tend to avoid Bif as the combo i use at the moment is slow and hunts too much.
I would like to get more into bif etc, hence looking at the A9.
I know it's a nice dilemma to have, but this would be a big purchase for me, and I'm not in a position to keep chopping and changing, so I'd like to get it right.... :)

I have a Sony A7ii and a 200-600mm lens.
I like it a lot but the af is not great.
I'm looking to upgrade to another body, and was thinking about an A9.
I know I wouldn't regret getting an A9, and if I get the A7iii I might end up wishing I'd got the A9.
However, there's a significant difference in price between the A7iii and A9 that could go towards say a 17-35mm f4 lens.
Has anyone used all 3 of these combinations?
If so, what are your thoughts and experiences?
I don't really need 20fps, but want very good af.
With the 200-600mm I shoot mainly wildlife and birds, but tend to avoid Bif as the combo i use at the moment is slow and hunts too much.
I would like to get more into bif etc, hence looking at the A9.
I know it's a nice dilemma to have, but this would be a big purchase for me, and I'm not in a position to keep chopping and changing, so I'd like to get it right.... :)

None too sure but I think @GyRob and @Lez325 might have some insight for you as are they not now Sony users???

Have used the 200-600 with A7III, A7RIV, A9 and A9II as you would expect it is better on the A9 and A9II.

Have used the 200-600 with A7III, A7RIV, A9 and A9II as you would expect it is better on the A9 and A9II.
Thanks for that.
Comparing the 200-600mm on the A7iii against the A9, is there a big difference in the af? How would you describe the difference?

Steve dawes has the A9 mkii and does extremely well with it

I had the a7r4 200/600 it works far better on the a9 series although I have the a9mkII

A9 is best of the best in terms of AF but A7III isn't exactly a slouch. All depends on how much you value having best AF vs. having that extra lens that'll open up other photographic opportunities.

Personally I shoot wildlife with A7RIV and A7Riii before it. Sure it isnt as good as A9 but they offer me other benefits and a odd missed shot isn't the end of the world for me. So I'd personally pick A7III+extra lens over A9 unless you are depending on your BiF shots to feed you.

A9 is best of the best in terms of AF but A7III isn't exactly a slouch. All depends on how much you value having best AF vs. having that extra lens that'll open up other photographic opportunities.

Personally I shoot wildlife with A7RIV and A7Riii before it. Sure it isnt as good as A9 but they offer me other benefits and a odd missed shot isn't the end of the world for me. So I'd personally pick A7III+extra lens over A9 unless you are depending on your BiF shots to feed you.
Thanks for your reply.
Have you used the A9? Or the A7iii?

Wex have an offer over Christmas where you can rent gear for 11 days for the price of two days. May be rent both and see what you are happy with.

I’ve used the 200-600 on both the A7R3 and the A9. With the A7R3 birds in flight was very challenging, in fact too challenging to be enjoyable. Also obtaining focus on birds surrounded by foliage was fairly hit and miss.
With the A9 BIF‘s actually became fun and I am far less frustrated by focus capability in foliage. Obviously there is said to be the advantage of closer cropping with the A7R3 but I haven’t found the A9 to be a slouch but this of course does depend on viewing and printing preferences. Flicker free viewfinder is an obvious advantage too.

I’ve used the 200-600 on both the A7R3 and the A9. With the A7R3 birds in flight was very challenging, in fact too challenging to be enjoyable. Also obtaining focus on birds surrounded by foliage was fairly hit and miss.
With the A9 BIF‘s actually became fun and I am far less frustrated by focus capability in foliage. Obviously there is said to be the advantage of closer cropping with the A7R3 but I haven’t found the A9 to be a slouch but this of course does depend on viewing and printing preferences. Flicker free viewfinder is an obvious advantage too.

I hardly ever have a problem with BIF using the a7Riii - I guess it's down to individual focus settings etc

Les :)

yep no problems with A7Riii

could track these little things :p
not the best backgrounds unfortunately the water was really crap and the weather even more so on that day :(

48235340661_7159c6d118_b.jpg

48235339421_188d9aa558_b.jpg

Back