Anyone Used An AF Confirm Adapter?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Having just bought a manual focus adapter ring to allow me to use M42 screw type manual focus lenses on my 450D, I came across this item being sold on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AF-CONFIRM-AD...ryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There appears to be a few others being sold with the circuit attached to the adapter, are these type of any real benefit over the other type without the AF assist like what I currently have? I'm sure I read somewhere that they can mess up your camera's focusing and various other settings. I can see the attraction of having the AF light as it's a real bugger sometimes to get a shot in focus as I'm so used to my autofocus lenses doing it all for me.

Michael.

I use them.

I have a few M42 lenses and Tamron Adaptall 2 with the AF confirm adapters for both, they are useful in that they will get you in the ball park but ive never found them to be 100% on the money.

I recently put the EF-s Focusing screen into the 40d and it has made the world of difference! shots snap in and out of focus and its a lot quicker than searching for the beep.

I use them.

I have a few M42 lenses and Tamron Adaptall 2 with the AF confirm adapters for both, they are useful in that they will get you in the ball park but ive never found them to be 100% on the money.

I'm confused by your statement that they're not "100% on the money". The confirm chip isn't checking anything, it's simply telling the body to check again. If the body confirms AF (lighting the focus grid) and the image isn't focussed then it's the body that's wrong.

To the OP's question....
Far better to get split focus screen and make the judgement yourself about the focus and DOF. AF bodies and lens are relatively new in the consumer market and it's not too long ago that all focussing was done manually....you'll get used to it very quickly (as millions of pre-90's togs did).

Bob

I tried one with my 10D and an Adaptall 70-210 19AH (great lens BTW).

I still don't know how, but on its first use it managed to fry some internal camera circuit meaning a new main board had to be fitted (£162 IIRC).

I'd go with Bob's suggestion and stick a focus screen in or simply do the best you can with the normal screen (quite difficult).

I'd never risk one again, I may have been unlucky as no one else seems to have had this happen but once bitten......

Russ

I'm confused by your statement that they're not "100% on the money". The confirm chip isn't checking anything, it's simply telling the body to check again. If the body confirms AF (lighting the focus grid) and the image isn't focussed then it's the body that's wrong.

Bob

Anytime i use the Af confirm chip and focus to the beep the shot is never as sharp as it could be.

But if i use normal AF lenses and do the same i get a sharp result?

I was putting this down to the adapter but may be the body???

I have an M42 AF confirm adapter that I use with a 50mm F1.8 Pentacon lens I have had for a long time now, The AF confirm is cock on and the lens although not any sharper than my EF 1.4 does seem to produce better colours.

Set the camera to AV and set the F Stop on the lens... Its much more natural :)

Does the focusing screen work like the split circle (pentaprism?) you used to get on the old manuals? I cant get on with wee flashing dots on my 400D and would much prefer the old style.

Does the focusing screen work like the split circle (pentaprism?) you used to get on the old manuals? I cant get on with wee flashing dots on my 400D and would much prefer the old style.

Yes, exactly the same setup. I'm on my second one now after changing bodies. KatzEyes in the US make them with various options for different bodies....I can recommend them.
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

Bob

I have AF confirm and non-af confirm adaptors, for
- Contax Zeiss to EF
- Leica R to EF
- Pentax K to EF
- Olympus OM to EF

Most of them don't get the focus confirm right at all. They light up when it is completely out of focus (I have checked my doptre adjustment) on both my 5D and 1D2. I tend to use matt focusing screens. Also I have an adaptor that works well (AF confirm wise) with lenses 85 and longer, but are crap for lenses 35 and wider. In general I would say that you will have more problems with AF confirm with wider lenses (which is where you really need them). For wide angle lenses using live view to focus is better if you have the time.

Hi,

Interesting reading, thanks for the link Bob..I'll have to see if anything there takes my fancy..so many options to choose from!! :p

Michael.

Back