Anyone using a Sigma 500 F4.5 as an alternative to Canon 500F4 IS

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

hankering after a 500mm lens ( aren't we all :D ), I really want the canon 500 F4 IS, but a bit out of my reach at the moment, the Sigma 500mm F4.5 looks a decent alternative albeit without IS. It gets good reviews on Fred Miranda and other sites and is considerably cheaper and lighter than the Canon. I know the IS is essential for handheld shots, but is this a major factor especially as these lenses should be tripod mounted to get the best from them, will the non IS Sigma be as good as the Canon if both were tripod mounted.

I can get the Canon for around £3,500 but the Sigma is about £2400 so a huge saving. Although I have seen the Canon for around £2800 second hand, but only once as I think its more likely to be £3000 +

I can offload some gear which might get me about £1700, so not too far away from the Sigma but a big way off the Canon.

Any thoughts?

Mike.

have a look here

AJPurdy - USED - Sigma 500mm f4.5 EX HSM Canon EOS fit - £1549

have a look here

AJPurdy - USED - Sigma 500mm f4.5 EX HSM Canon EOS fit - £1549
Hi,

very tempting at a good price, but would have to sell my gear first, will wait and see if any comments about said lens, thanks for the info it makes the Sigma look an even tastier option for me at that price, don't get me wrong if money was no object it would be the Canon, but ......

Mike.

I used to have the 500 f4 IS, a fantastic lens, then upgraded to the 600mm f4 IS, and i have to say I think its better, I havent used the Sigma 500mm so cannot comment on the lens at all, but i don't think you will be disappointed which one you buy.

I used to have the 500 f4 IS, a fantastic lens, then upgraded to the 600mm f4 IS, and i have to say I think its better, I havent used the Sigma 500mm so cannot comment on the lens at all, but i don't think you will be disappointed which one you buy.

Hi,

yes, all three are damn fine lenses, but cost is an issue for me just now, although a bit concerened at the resale value of the Sigma once I can/want afford to upgrade ( if I ever wanted to ). I have just found a comparison of the 500's on POTN which reads fairly good for the Sigma especially S/H.

HERE it is in case anyone is interested.

I have emailed AJpurdy asking for more info about accessories etc.

Thanks for your help.

Mike.

the one at purdys looks good as it comes with the original box i think as its stood in the picture with the lens, I will have a look at the review.

the one at purdys looks good as it comes with the original box i think as its stood in the picture with the lens, I will have a look at the review.

Hi,

well I've bought it and all accessories there and lens in great nick with only a bit of the coating coming off round a bit of the barrel, but that's usual for Sigma lenses, glass is perfect.

I have 7 days to try and it send back if not wanted, I've put some sample shots in Animals & Nature Forum, see what you think. I'm not convinced the focus is spot on but no light to speak of for a true test as yet. 3 months warranty as well so fingers crossed its a good one and if kept with have a couple or lenses to offload to help pay for it.

Thanks for your advice.

Mike.

I have the Canon and a friend has a Sigma. I do think the Canon has the slight edge but the Sigma is a corking lens. The Canon has an extra half stop which can help but the Sigma is significantly lighter. The Sigma primes seem to offer AF nearly as good as the Canons from what I've seen (I've just got a Sigma 300 2.8)

I'm glad for what I do I've got the Canon but my friend did spend £2k less than me for 90% of the performance!

I have the Canon and a friend has a Sigma. I do think the Canon has the slight edge but the Sigma is a corking lens. The Canon has an extra half stop which can help but the Sigma is significantly lighter. The Sigma primes seem to offer AF nearly as good as the Canons from what I've seen (I've just got a Sigma 300 2.8)

I'm glad for what I do I've got the Canon but my friend did spend £2k less than me for 90% of the performance!

Hi,

exactly what I found when hunting for info on this lens, ok if money was no object it would be the Canon, but this lens is £2000 less than a new Canon and about £1500 less than a used one, there is no way I could afford that so this is the only alternative for me. Ok the IS would be nice but with a decent tripod etc I don't think I'll suffer too much, ok I might have a lower keeper rate than I might get with the Canon, but the images I mentioned above range from 1/60th to 1/160th which is way below ideal for a non IS lens and all seem fine. Plus I expect the resale value to hold quite well.

Will decide in a couple of days whether it's a keeper, I might do a focus test just to make sure. Oh and you just beat me to Diego's 300, I already have his 100-400 from last year, which may be on the market soon.
Mike.

Mike.

Good stuff there glad you bought it and are liking it.

Personally i wouldnt bother with focus tests unless you perform them properly and precicley just take it out and shoot as you would normaly, you will get a feel for it and also know if its right for you.

Dont forget to employ a proper long lens technique when using the lens.
As described by the master Moose Peterson HERE

And dont forget to post some pimp shots of the lens etc

That's a link with good advice Mark. I'm a big fan of resting a hand on top of the lens. Unless it is very slow shutter speed with a cable release and MLU when I stand well clear.

Back