Anyone using the Kenko 2X Convertor?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
In particular the Kenko Teleplus Pro 300?

A couple of times lately I've found my 70-200 slightly on the short side but after the last couple of months I really can't justify spending a huge amount on the likes of a 100-400, or even a 300mm F4 so a 2X should be a reasonable stop gap in the meantime. I realise I'll lose a stop and some image quality but from what I read it's mostly on the edges which shouldn't impact too much due to the crop anyway.

Or is the Canon worth the extra? The Kenko I can get at about £100, the Canon is about double that.

dod, by all accounts the kenko pro is good, although perhaps not as good as the canon. I have the sigma 2x EX, but not had chance to use it yet. If you'd like to give it a shot, let me know.

By the way, you'll lose TWO stops of light with a 2x converter. An f4 lens will becme an f8, f2.8 will become a f5.6.

Steve uses the Kenko pro300 1.4x with his 70-200.
His is the newer version which uses hoya glass I'm lead to believe.
Its a lot shorter in length than the canon TC and results are similar if not the same as the canon.
Its also now available in black, the earlier models were all whitish grey

I would recommend them highly.

thanks neos, might take you up on that, whereabouts are you? Edit: Check your PM's

Thanks for other replies also, the 1.4 kenco is beginning to look attractive as well

dod said:
Thanks for other replies also, the 1.4 kenco is beginning to look attractive as well

I have some extreamly good results with the 70-200L and the 1.4x KenkoPro300. In fact so good that for the majority of the time I leave it attached to the lens. I also find the F5.6 not a worry but would struggle on occations with F8 if I used a 2x convertor.

I shot a few images last week in London with this combination which I need to process but my gallery already includes many examples. If you are really desperate let me know and I will dig a few out for you. :)

Thanks Steve, had a quick look through your gallery earlier and theres nothing wrong with the quality, I think the 1.4 is definitely the way to go

Back