Aperture to Lightroom switcher

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Well i've stuck it out with aperture and after a great deal of annoyance about a number of things (not least the recent soft pictures) I have switched to Lightroom 1.3!

I wanted to set up 3 drives for my photography, one for negatives (or RAW from camera), one for working on and one for backup. Aperture insists on doing things its own way and this just isn't really do-able.

As I use Adobe photoshop I thought I would give Lightroom a try and I like it. So i'm now using Lightroom, Bridge and Photoshop for my workflow.

I use three Apple computers and use a .mac account to sync them meaning that they are fully up to date with each other then all I have to do is transfer the thing I am working on. With Aperture my storage directory was 35Gb so I could no longer transfer it to my laptop! Now I can tranfer just the DNG/RAW files that I want and then transfer them back again later.

Anyway on to a question I have that I cannot find the answer to. I can work out how to transfer RAW files from the D200 memory card to the directory I want and convert them to DNG no problem. I cannot however work out how the convert my existing 35Gb of RAW files to DNG - Any suggestions?

All in all though Aperture did hundreds of things that I just didn't use/want or need. It had quality problems since I upgraded to Leopard and it forced me into it's idea of correct workflow rather than mine, so it had to go. It also means that 'snap shots' can be converted to HQ JPGs and the original RAW files deleted if I choose to.

Import the raw files into LR and in Library select them all and then Library > Convert to DNG. It might be worth setting up a temp. database just to import all the files into which you can dump afterwards.

Import the raw files into LR and in Library select them all and then Library > Convert to DNG. It might be worth setting up a temp. database just to import all the files into which you can dump afterwards.

Yes, thats sorted it, bizarrely I found that option first but it only output one file. For some reason it wasn't selecting them all. Done it again and its sorted. Thanks.

Now for a play with Lightroom....

Back