Apple HomePod Delayed

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Was due to be launched next month, but it’s been delayed to some time next year. I’m looking forward to hearing just how good (or not) they sound.

The delay is probably caused by the Amazon lawyers making sure that any similarity to Alexa is suitably compensated for.

Siri was out years before Alexa.
yes true, but not in a useful format, siri could tell you it was going to rain but it took Alexa superior AI to be able to tell you it was going to rain but also allow you to place an order for umbrella or a raincoat.

Siri was out years before Alexa.

Siri in it’s basic form was nothing compared to Alexa, even now the most I get is “This is what I found on the web...”.

It had a lot of potential, but Apple let it go stale in my opinion and has a lot of catching up to do. And with the new Sonos speakers I can’t see a compelling case for the HomePod, unless you absolutely must have Siri.

Just my opinion of course

Siri in it’s basic form was nothing compared to Alexa, even now the most I get is “This is what I found on the web...”.

It had a lot of potential, but Apple let it go stale in my opinion and has a lot of catching up to do. And with the new Sonos speakers I can’t see a compelling case for the HomePod, unless you absolutely must have Siri.

Just my opinion of course

It would probably have been very expensive!! Have to say I don't see the appeal in things like Alexa or speakers that 'do siri'. Do people really shout across the room to find things out and is it that reliable? Am looking at getting one bit while Sonos looks attractive think a wireless one will be better as can move it around the house.

Quite possibly... I personally find Siri infuriating and pretty useless, although this does not reflect others experiences, and as far as audio quality goes I've got my KEF iQ7's, Denon amp and Chromecast Audio for my audio needs :)

I just wish that they would bring gapless playback to the chromecast audio!
Completely off topic I just updated my astell and kern player and new one does gap less sacd dsf playback oh joy [emoji23]

What app do you use? Not sure that I've had any gapless issues (at least I can't think of any).
BubbleUPnP streaming from a nas drive. I have never actually tried it with locally stored music, that may play gapless as there is a constant connection between the phone and CA.
But it's a well documented issue for streaming from nas drives, Spotify etc.

I'm waiting for the UK release of the Google home max. Looks and sounds like it might be a sonos rival.

It does. But Google have an annoying habit of piling everything into a great! new! thing!!! and then abandoning it when it doesn't reach their targets. Which is bad if you're looking for one box to rule them all.

Meanwhile my Sonos just sits there working properly.

I just wish that they would bring gapless playback to the chromecast audio!
Take a look at the Hi-Fi Cast app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.findhdmusic.app.upnpcast

It has a hack that enables gapless playback to Chromecast from (at least) local storage (I assume also from a UPnP server as it supports the protocol). I believe it works by stitching together gapless tracks on your device before casting them. When enabled (it's off by default) this feature messes up seeking within a track, but otherwise works very well.

I think cloud playback from Google Play is also gapless with Chromecast.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Hi-Fi Cast app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.findhdmusic.app.upnpcast

It has a hack that enables gapless playback to Chromecast from (at least) local storage (I assume also from a UPnP server as it supports the protocol). I believe it works by stitching together gapless tracks on your device before casting them. When enabled (it's off by default) this feature messes up seeking within a track, but otherwise works very well.

I think cloud playback from Google Play is also gapless with Chromecast.
Looks interested. Downloaded and shall test it out this evening.

I just bought a HomePod. The sounds is amazing for a device like this. I’m very happy with it.

Interestingly enough my brother-in-law had a Sonos, then a Homepod and then bought an Echo Studio, he rated the Echo Studio to have higher quality audio and consequently sold the Homepod.

He now has 2 Echo Studios, an Echo Sub and the FireTV 4K and gets Dolby Atmos from it... Great to see how it all works seemlessly

Back