Apple Mac V PC

drl

Edit My Images
Yes
As a part of a project I'm doing for college I'm studying the role Apple Mac's play in the design industries.

As photographers, I'm interested to know what systems you use to do your work, and your thoughts on why your choice (whether it be an Apple Mac or a Windows PC or Linux based system) is your prefered option.

If you a spare moment I'd really appreciate if you could reply to this post stating what system you use and why.

Many thanks,
David

there is plenty of evidence and discussion about the merits of each system for various uses in other threads if you search just to get a bigger idea on the photography side.

search the net to get the other "general" pros/cons argument and crappy tittle tattle as that will probably be worth a look to add to your project.

from my point of view i've worked as a mac designer/artworker which led to me using macs - i happily do everything on my mac.

i'm also doing microsoft training and have a windows machine do all that theory stuff on as well as general stuff.

hope that was what you were after :)

I have a MacBook Pro David, and I switched to mac for its wonderful 17" screen, reliability, ruggedness, and stable operating system. No regrets!

does anyone have a tin opener? i keep bashing this on the side but this damn can of worms won't open :crying:

i use pc because i've used both extensively and found mac os to be a ballache and in the past they've been overly expensive for what they are, they're not any faster as far as i've been able to tell and i don't like girly looking machines :D

does anyone have a tin opener? i keep bashing this on the side but this damn can of worms won't open :crying:

i use pc because i've used both extensively and found mac os to be a ballache and in the past they've been overly expensive for what they are, they're not any faster as far as i've been able to tell and i don't like girly looking machines :D

seems like you managed to open it and let it all out in that post :D

As said, this has to be up there in the top three internet debates.

Get over to OCUK, where they love nothing more to argue(pointlessly I should add) about this on an almost daily basis :thumbsdown:

I have a Apple Macbook Pro & Apple iMac. I did use PC's for years but since I've since stopped playing games and have now moved more into photography. I sold my beast of a PC games machine which I do miss now and again but now love my Mac's as OS X is so lovely to use. I still work with Windows based machine's because it is my Business of repairing them so I've still got my foot in with the Windows OS and software.

As said, this has to be up there in the top three internet debates.

Get over to OCUK, where they love nothing more to argue(pointlessly I should add) about this on an almost daily basis :thumbsdown:

OCUK Like to argue about anything anyway and if you dont agree with the Dons you get banned :D

Hexus is a much friendlier place :D

Back on topic though as people have said mac V pc is a huge argument that has raged for years. The current Windows ad campaign is a dig at the old ads apple ran about I`m a mac/ Im a pc.

in the 90`s macs where used for music and graphic work because they had the better software for that purpose. Nowadays both platforms have great software to do the thing so Its a lot more down to personal taste.

I am a PC user I have used macs a lot at work but I just like my pcs :D

I've never used a PC so my unbiased opinion is Apple.
I don't think there is a right answer, it's like Canon v Nikon.

I choose Apple (or it was chosen for me) when I got my first job with a newspaper and I've never really felt any need to change to PCs.
Apple stuff in my opinion just does the job, with little fuss.

I really don't get the PC/Mac thing. I run Adobe application software and that is what I interact with. The fact I run it on a pc platform is largely irrelevent (except for price)

Anyone who likes arguing should go over to dpreview forums, say they're doing some research for a project and then ask "Canon v Nikon"....

:popcorn:

why do these things turn into argument threads anyhow - he only asked what systems we used and why

why is it that people just can't state that without others supremacist and causing arguments?

now there's a study for you :p

I use an aluminium iMac.
Because I kept on having PC problems, constantly having to update virus software and run system tools. I was spending more time tinkering than I was working.
So I bought my mac, which I just use, I don't have to administer it at all. So for me the mac is better and that is why.

Macbook here, running Lightroom 2.2, CS3, plus a load of other music related software, and it is used as my main #1 machine; very rarely do I use any of the PC's I still have lying around here. In fact, we all (4 of us) in our house have Macbooks now. I do also still have a Dell laptop though for those times when clients don't have or won't permit any alternate access et al.

It's all down to personal choice, and that's that really. Same with TV's, Hi-Fi's, ISP et al... you pays your money and you makes your choice.

Word for word cyclone's answer.
I use an aluminium iMac.
Because I kept on having PC problems, constantly having to update virus software and run system tools. I was spending more time tinkering than I was working.
So I bought my mac, which I just use, I don't have to administer it at all. So for me the mac is better and that is why.

I switched last year from a PC but I still use Mac versions of PC soft like Photoshop Element or Nikon NX.

Back