APSC or Full Frame cropped

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to North Norfolk this week and I am hoping to shoot some birds and other wildlife. I have 2 cameras a Nikon D7200 (apsc) and a D750 ( full frame). My question is should I shoot with my D7200 to get more "reach" or shoot the higher resolution D750 and the crop in? As I understand it the subject will be the same size on both sensors?

I think ‘pixels on the target’ is a useful consideration for birds and wildlife. I use a 7DII (APS-C) and even with a 100-400mm zoom (sometimes with a 1.4x TC as well), bird shots often still need to be cropped.

So even though for a given focal length the actual image size will be the same on each sensor, given that the two sensors have similar total pixels, due to the crop factor the APS-C will put more pixels on the target.

That‘s my take anyway.

Well, D7200 will give you more pixels in the sensor area than the D750. The D750 isn't higher resolution, the sensors in the two cameras have the same number of pixels, but the D7200 sensor is smaller, giving you more 'reach'!

I'd be tempted to go full frame, it's just cleaner, for want of a better word. That said, if the extra 'reach' is a must and you have plenty of light, APSC will do the job.

Thanks for the replies. The D750 is definitely the better camera at high iso so if light is an issue I would definitely use the D750. If the light is ok I'll go with the d7200. It will be an interesting comparison.

D7200 is more than capable for the task although you didn't say which lens you were using.

I used my old D7100 for birds and the quality was definitely up there (I know it's a different 24MP sensor), the only reason for selling it was the appalling buffer, the D7200 was better.

If you need the extra pixels for large prints, use the D7200 otherwise, the D750 and crop.

Do you know which hides you intend on visiting? some are closer to the birds than others. If it were me, I'd take both, but if you can only take 1 it would be D7200.

Back