aquilegia

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
I debated on putting this in the critique section but chickened out ;)
Taken with the bellows but not at any great magnification so was a little tricky to focus, around F11 - F16 ? and 1/8sec, Iso 100.

flower5uj.jpg

TFL.
Ken.

lovely photo ken, certainly better than the creepy crawly stuff i cant look at, much more pleasant.

debated on putting this in the critique section but chickened out

Fine, we'll all just critique it here then. ;)

That's bloody magnificent Ken. :clap:

The accuracy of placement for the focus point would be reason enough to be mightily impressed but the framing and lighting are just spot on. The depth and texture you've created with the oblique light.... just brilliant.

The most impressive photo I've seen in a while.

and just to indulge in a moment of smugness....
dazzajl said:
I sense these bellows shots are just going to get better and better. :clap:

:LOL: :LOL:

Thanks guys
dazzajl said:
Fine, we'll all just critique it here then.
I thought someone would say that! Thanks dazzajl.....now your gonna tell me you have a ff camera for sale aren't ya!
Forbiddenbiker said:
I haven't been keeping up with your bellows stuff, could you tell me what lens your using
Shame on you! The lens is a 50mm Carl Ziess Jenna Tessar 2.8 but fits inside the bellows rather than the outside???? Just if your interested This is the first post explaining how I came about them.
Thanks again.
Ken.

That is a fantastic shot, Ken. No words to describe it, I love the colour, lighting, everything. WELL DONE! :clap:

Thanks Janice.
Venomator said:
Is it a 'Still Life' as it were Ken ... i.e. indoor set-up shot ... :thinking:
Yes and no! Outside in the evening sun but there was a slight breeze which kept moving everything now and then....I bought some material a couple of weeks ago, one black and one white to use as backdrops for this kind of thing.

KenCo1964 said:
Shame on you! The lens is a 50mm Carl Ziess Jenna Tessar 2.8 but fits inside the bellows rather than the outside???? Just if your interested This is the first post explaining how I came about them.

Thanks. (y)

yeah, interesting stuff indeed, what a bargain. Difficult to use, but well worth the effort by the look of your shot, seriously good dof for a macro shot I think...not that I know much about it as you know, just seems a very large area is in focus. :shrug: :LOL:

Is that part of the way bellows work, I realise you've got a nice lens on their, do they extend the dof of the lens at f whatever, as well as the focal distance? err?? ...so to speak...or I'm I barking up the wrong tree and totally confusing myself.... and talking rubbish at the same time.

? Please. :D

Forbiddenbiker said:
Thanks. (y)

yeah, interesting stuff indeed, what a bargain. Difficult to use, but well worth the effort by the look of your shot, seriously good dof for a macro shot I think...not that I know much about it as you know, just seems a very large area is in focus. :shrug: :LOL:

Is that part of the way bellows work, I realise you've got a nice lens on their, do they extend the dof of the lens at f whatever, as well as the focal distance? err?? ...so to speak...or I'm I barking up the wrong tree and totally confusing myself.... and talking rubbish at the same time.

? Please. :D
:thinking: :puke: :thinking: Surely you know by now not to be asking me questions like that. All I do is press the shutter.....
They have a very shallow dof and I don't know if I'm right in saying but it seemed to work for me is, compromise with the focus. I could of had the stamen (or whatever) in very sharp focus but most of the rest of the flower would of been out (I took about 50 shots, all of different subjects and I must have about 49 which would show the narrow dof) Compromising the focus slightly and also like I said this is at no great magnification...I do have another couple which are much closer, You can count the seeds!
I'm sorry I really I can't be of much help but I'm sure someone will shortly.

is that part of the way bellows work, I realise you've got a nice lens on their, do they extend the dof of the lens at f whatever, as well as the focal distance?

In short, no. :)

With the bellows all you are doing is moving the lens away from the film/chip. This is exacty what happens anyway when you turn the focus ring.

As you move the focus point closer to the camera the glass inside the lens is moving down the barrel away from the camera. What stops you getting in really close is that you run out of movement. Macro lenses have extended movment to allow close work and bellows do pretty much the same thing.

So the normal rules still aply with DoF, the closer you focus the smaller the DoF gets and there is no getting away from it.

There are cameras that let you move the plane of focus to give you more freedom to chose what is sharp and what's not..... but I said I wouldn't mention them in Ken's threads. :LOL: :LOL:

:)

dazzajl said:
As you move the focus point closer to the camera the glass inside the lens is moving down the barrel away from the camera. What stops you getting in really close is that you run out of movement. Macro lenses have extended movment to allow close work and bellows do pretty much the same thing.

Ah, thanks Dazzajl, I got it totally arse about face eh....makes a few more things make sense as well, like why do longer lenses often have a macro setting...:thinking: :bulb: :)

Soz for the wee Hijack ken.

very nice ken, make a very nice large print

Back