Arca Swiss D4

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Picked up one if these recently but am not impressed with the classic screw knob clamp thst came with it. Looking to swap it out for most likely an RRS clamp and wondered if anyone had changed theirs themselves.

Cheers
Neil

Picked up one if these recently but am not impressed with the classic screw knob clamp thst came with it. Looking to swap it out for most likely an RRS clamp and wondered if anyone had changed theirs themselves.

Cheers
Neil

It's ironic that Arca Swiss, creators of the excellent dovetail QR system that is now almost universal, produces some of the least popular clamps. Even worse, AS doesn't like users changing their clamps for something better and makes it unnecessarily difficult with very strong Loctite.

Not a D4, but my P0 head came with the unfortunate AS Classic clamp and the first thing I did was replace it with a cheap Chinese version that I knew was more to my liking - and no regrets. I googled a lot and heeded the numerous warnings, but in the event it was really easy. You basically have to summon up the courage to apply a blow torch to the retaining bolt to loosen the Loctite. I pointed the torch through a hole in a heat shield to protect everything else, and held damp rags underneath to prevent heat getting any further. After a few seconds, the bolt came loose with minimal effort :cool:

Cheers Hoppy.
Thankfully the bolt was only secured with a grey type of glue and was easily extracted.
Its the fitting of a third party clamp i need the specific advice on as i need to understand how to fix it to the rotating plate. im guessing a dollop of loctite blue 243 on the thread and on the plate may do the trick but im not overly sure as theres not much info on the net alluding to the process.

Cheers Hoppy.
Thankfully the bolt was only secured with a grey type of glue and was easily extracted.
Its the fitting of a third party clamp i need the specific advice on as i need to understand how to fix it to the rotating plate. im guessing a dollop of loctite blue 243 on the thread and on the plate may do the trick but im not overly sure as theres not much info on the net alluding to the process.

On my P0, the plate below the clamp has an anti-rotation hole. So I tapped through the clamp and screwed a small bolt to act as a peg in that hole.

Not sure what you'll find underneath. I guess Loctite might do the trick, though it could make it very hard to get off again if you ever needed to. I would probably go for two or three holes tapped through the clamp and grub screws.

On my P0, the plate below the clamp has an anti-rotation hole. So I tapped through the clamp and screwed a small bolt to act as a peg in that hole.

Not sure what you'll find underneath. I guess Loctite might do the trick, though it could make it very hard to get off again if you ever needed to. I would probably go for two or three holes tapped through the clamp and grub screws.

Out of interest, Hoppy, which plate did you purchase? I'm just a little wary of cheaper plate quality as I have had one fail on me in the past (luckily didnt cause any damage!).

Out of interest, Hoppy, which plate did you purchase? I'm just a little wary of cheaper plate quality as I have had one fail on me in the past (luckily didnt cause any damage!).

You mean clamp? Pretty sure it's this one for £17, though mine is unbranded. It also has a fast-thread knob, a feature I really like that rarely gets mentioned in ads, meaning it locks/unlocks in just one full turn.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WD9F9KH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1X6OJZ1Y4KQGU&psc=1

Cheers Hoppy.

I've replaced the clamp on a few Arca Swiss heads and they don't seem to need something in the anti-rotation hole, perhaps if you're using a larger/heavier setup and being more forceful it becomes an issue but I've gotten on fine without it or Loctite.

Most of the Arca Swiss heads I come across have that weak grey glue you mention but just when I felt safe the next one I get has Loctite red...

I've replaced the clamp on a few Arca Swiss heads and they don't seem to need something in the anti-rotation hole, perhaps if you're using a larger/heavier setup and being more forceful it becomes an issue but I've gotten on fine without it or Loctite.

Most of the Arca Swiss heads I come across have that weak grey glue you mention but just when I felt safe the next one I get has Loctite red...
Thanks Simon. Appreciate the your post.
Ive luckily managed to source an RRS clamp for a very reasonable price from overseas. Advice ive been given to fit to the D4 is to use loctite blue 243 on the thread and a rubber or silicone washer between the clamp and the rotation plate. Apparently that works wonders. ill update when received.

A Comment. You can attache what you want, but be careful. If you use a screw that is too long, you may damage internal parts on some heads. On others, using a screw that is too short, you will not have full strength. Each of our heads and QR combinations uses a different screw length. Further many of the third party QR and plate manufacturers make their dovetails such that they may, in use, be wider or narrower, than the real Arca-Swiss dimension.

Also spring loaded lever type QRs may have some play, especially when the camera/lens is tipped and the torque increases. With lighter cameras this may not show up, but with longer camera/lens combinations, or larger cameras such as 8x10 film types, this will certainly be a factor.

The knob, Classic, QR we make has stood the test of time and I have used it around the world in conditions as varied as Antarctica, Desert SW of North America, China, Sweden,
and other parts of Europe, and North and South America, as well.

Never a problem, always solid, and adaptable to all Arca-Swiss Style, plates and accessories. Remember you can't go to a store tomorrow, in many places in the world or on top of a mountain.

But, you have to be happy with your Quick release, so you make your choice. Just be careful that this change is done correctly, as the warranty is voided if you damage your head in changing the QR. Also if you are putting a rubber or soft silicone washer under the QR, you may not be level completely all the way through a 360 pan movement.

The knob is captive now and has been for some time, so losing the knob is no longer a problem for our heads. And they also accept 2 sizes, or types, of plates including the lighter, more compact, monobalfix series.

Just some comments

Rod

A Comment. You can attache what you want, but be careful. If you use a screw that is too long, you may damage internal parts on some heads. On others, using a screw that is too short, you will not have full strength. Each of our heads and QR combinations uses a different screw length. Further many of the third party QR and plate manufacturers make their dovetails such that they may, in use, be wider or narrower, than the real Arca-Swiss dimension.

Also spring loaded lever type QRs may have some play, especially when the camera/lens is tipped and the torque increases. With lighter cameras this may not show up, but with longer camera/lens combinations, or larger cameras such as 8x10 film types, this will certainly be a factor.

The knob, Classic, QR we make has stood the test of time and I have used it around the world in conditions as varied as Antarctica, Desert SW of North America, China, Sweden,

Never a problem, always solid, and adaptable to all Arca-Swiss Style, plates and accessories. Remember you can't go to a store tomorrow, in many places in the world or on top of a mountain.

But, you have to be happy with your Quick release, so you make your choice. Just be careful that this change is done correctly, as the warranty is voided if you damage your head in changing the QR. Also if you are putting a rubber or soft silicone washer under the QR, you may not be level completely all the way through a 360 pan movement.

The knob is captive now and has been for some time, so losing the knob is no longer a problem for our heads. And they also accept 2 sizes, or types, of plates including the lighter, more compact, monobalfix series.

Just some comments

Rod

Appreciate your contribution Rod (y) but it doesn't explain why so many Arca Swiss fans choose to fit alternative clamps - and at no small inconvenience. That Classic clamp is a simply a poor design, very poor TBH. And nobody cares that it also takes the smaller Arca Swiss plates, because nobody uses them (most don't know they even exist).

Note: Rod Klukas is the US representative for Arca Swiss. Since Arca Swiss hasn't got around to creating its own website just yet, Rod runs his own. It's a useful resource.
http://rodklukas.com/arca-swiss/

Just some comments

Rod

Thanks Rod, comments noted and appreciated.

Generally I'm not one to take on too much of a technical challenge and certainly wouldn't want to take a risk damaging the head given the investment but since we don't have a Precision Camera equivalent in the UK i'll have to attempt the swap myself - if i'm not happy then back to the AS clamp I go.

Last edited:
Back