Arca Swiss Z1 SP tension query

Edit My Images
No
Just got a used Z1 SP and the tension seems a bit out of whack, by about 6-7 on the dial it's too tight to move but it can be loosened up past 0 and it's actually loosest when set to 11 (2 past 0 if that makes sense).

It's been a while since I had a Z1 and I haven't found any videos that really show it off properly but I thought they had them set properly so 0 is as loose as it'll get?

If it's like the B1 the tension dial rotates and you spin it to set 0 as the minimum tension.

Got the instructions for mine somewhere, will dig them out and see what they say about tensioning.

Thanks for your responses, it does sound like it's a bit off then.

Any ideas how to change where the tension/lock zeroes out?

@simonbarker Had a play with my Z1 and this seems to do the job

Adjust the main control knob to the minimum desired friction, where your camera wont flop, or creep, but you can still move it.
Turn the small friction limit adjust dial all the way in, making the current friction setting the lowest friction you will use. This prevents the main control knob from being unscrewed to a point where the camera may flop.
You can now easily make small adjustments with the main friction control knob if you are using your camera at extreme angles. You may also completely lock and unlock the camera movement with less than a single turn of the control knob when you think you must.
With practice, you should be able to find a “sweet spot” where your camera will move to any position desired without creeping and without having to touch the ball head friction controls at all

With practice, you should be able to find a “sweet spot” where your camera will move to any position desired without creeping and without having to touch the ball head friction controls at all

Thanks for the advice, it's probably the way I'll go. Just for peace of mind I would appreciate it if you could check the two following things:
  1. What's the loosest position on the main knob for you? On mine it's two past 0.
  2. What's the minimum setting on the main knob where the ballhead can't be moved for you?

Back