Are cheap ebay extension tubes a waste of money?

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
As per the title. It's only like a bit of tube between the lens and camera? :shrug:

Do you need contacts? Cant you just manually focus anyways?

you've got to be careful as the tubes connect to each other by a thread and screwing / unscrewing can cause fine metal particles to fall all over the place and as there is no electrical contact between the body and lens you end up with a very dark image in the view finder unless you mess around changing apertures while composing an image - a pain in the ass the kenko ones are more expensive but you will use them unlike the cheap ebay ones.

Many thanks... a case of too good to be true. I'm not really in the market for any proper ones, just thought they might be fun to mess with over winter at a bargain price. No such thing as a bargain nowadays :D

Lee, I have a set of the cheapy ebay tubes. I use them on an old manual OM lens. It's working fine for me at the moment, Yes, changing apertures is needed to get your aim point, but it's just a twist of the lens ring.

if you have a lens with an aperture ring and your camera can meter with them attached then its not so bad but as you have a canon any lens won't have an aperture ring so its a bit of a faff to stop the lens down which means insescts are pretty much out of the offering. you can buy a set of kenko extention tubes with contacts for around £80 off ebay which is what I would advise

Back