Are tripod heads worth the money you pay for them ?

K

kinchy

OK,

I have decided on buying the Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod (thanks Santa) and im looking for a head to go with it.

I have a 40D with battery grip and the biggest lens im going to put on it is the 70-200 F4 (in the future) so it takes the weight up to quite a few KG.

There are alot of heads out there and i have pretty much decided on a ball head, but the 322RC2 is £90 ... is it really worth that ??
Whereas the 488RC4 is only £65. Is the 322RC2 nearly £30 better ???

It just seems theres such a range of heads and prices its confusing.
I want a smooth action and one that doesnt move EVEN IN THE SLIGHTEST when i let go of it, and im not bothered about 1 or 2 handed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have the 322, I managed to pick it up for about £75 and yes I think it's worth every penny.

The speed and ease of adjustment is something you can't get with a 3way head.

Sure a normal ball might do the same and be cheaper, but the single handed operation is a winner for me.

I want a smooth action and one that doesnt move EVEN IN THE SLIGHTEST when i let go of it,.

That's what we all want and they're the ones which are expensive. Try lining up a shot on a tiny macro subject without the lens drooping just enough to be annoying when you release it, and there aren't too many out there that fit the bill. The ball head needs to be engineered to exacting standards to give that degree of control and they're the ones which are expensive.

Another vote for the 322RC2, I am sure you should be able to get one for less than £90 though?

I posted this 10 minutes ago on Alby's thread...

I have a 488RC (had 2 until yesterday) but find a pan head better for macro. Both the 488's I've had tend to move very slightly when tightened. Not noticeable at all for a regular lens but with the MP-E or 180L on, then about 1/8th frame shift when you lock them.
Neither of my two pan heads do this

Bob

Didn't you have a reallyrightstuff ball head Bob? Did that droop?

LOL. Have I got the wrong geezer then, I seem to remember someone selling one -thought it was you? :thinking:

I have 322 and a couple of others as well, the 322 is very good for quick tweaks and mine is very solid when locked up, I have even used it with the 100-400 although I used a remote release with this;) I've seen it for about £75 at times, it's easier neater and smaller than the 488 which I also have, it's all about horses for courses and what you will use it for, some limp wristers (no finger pointing) will struggle as they can't manage the weight of a lens and control the 322 with one hand:thinking: I sometimes use my other hand to make sure the 100 -400 does'nt take anose dive while adjusting the position. HTH ;)

Just to play devil's advocate; Ive got a 322RC2 and while it is a good head which is very easy to adjust it does have downsides. You can't lock it open without holding your finger on the lever, which makes it virtually uselss for panning shots. Its also very hard to adjust accurately(For macro shots etc). So depending on what you are going to be shooting the most, there may be better options out there. For wildlife a Gimbal head tends to come out top, and for accurate movement im very tempted by a geared 3 way head. :)

A geared head would be very handy, but they run into the £100's.

Im not going to do panning shots that often, so for me that would be OK.
But it still beg the question whether or not the 322 is worth £20 more than the 488.

From Camerapricebuster :

488RC2 - £54
322RC2 - £75

I think im going to have to go somewhere and test them out to see which one i prefer.

Yes, worth EVERY penny.

Use a Manfrotto 055CL tripod with a battered 029 three-way head. had it for about five year and it's still working fine.

Don't think the 029 head is still around but there's bouind to be an alternative.

I just took stock of a Manfrotto 190XPROB with 488RC2 Head.

WOW now thats what im tlaking about. So strudy and the head is brilliant.

Delviered it cost me £155 from Morrisphoto.co.uk delivered next day.

I am very pleased with the purchase and can recomend the same kit to anyone who wants a decent tripod that is easy to use, feels solid and is very workable .... and alot lighter than i thought it was going to be.

Now to find a small bag for it. Im not paying £20 for a huge Manfrotto one.

Back