Concepts As art in periods

To indicate that this thread is a discussion of theoretical concepts
Edit My Images
Yes
What are the different artistic themes, artistic trends, photographic styles and popular photographic subjects in photography in the following periods: 1839-1899, 1900-1949, 1950-1999 and 2000-2022?

Wow! Welcome to the forum!

Are you simply looking for answers to your question, or do you have a view?

portraiture, war, realism, instagram.

there's your homework done for you...

I guess they're asking us to do their course work for them in a bid for an easy life ...

it does kind of read that way, though, as I'm thinking english may not be the OP's first language from their IP address, lets give them the benefit of the doubt and ask them what their opinion is ...

I'd suggest not necessarily reading but at least glancing through some of the standard histories of photography? From memory, a number can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. You don't need to be fluent in English to browse and get a "feel" for the periods.

It's slightly more nuanced than that...

I'd still recommend a history of photography for both a narrative explanation and a set of examples and illustrations. Histories of photography aren't neutral though and can have either an axe to grind or a blinkered perspective.

I'd recommend starting with Beaumont Newhall's book (it coincides with my view) as being wide ranging if old, and perhaps follow with "A Staggering Revolution" which is basically a sociologist's (as opposed to a photographer's or historian's) idea of what happened. In my (subjective and biased) opinion, this latter fits the data to the theory, and I suggest it partly for that reason.

There are several later and fuller works than Newhall's; but if you're happy to draw your own conclusions there are a few Taschen books that will supply source data in the form of photographs.

What are the different artistic themes, artistic trends, photographic styles and popular photographic subjects in photography in the following periods: 1839-1899, 1900-1949, 1950-1999 and 2000-2022?
I suggest David Bate's "Photography" part of Thames and Hudsons Art Essentials series. Published 2021. £10.99

It's arranged chronologically into eight time periods, from the first photograph to modern times. Briefly explains each time period and then gives examples from a selection of photographers. Some big photographic names are missing, but overall it gives a good overview, in about 170 pages, on what you appear to be asking.

I believe that a generation is growing up across the world that has no understanding of doing their own research. It's ironic really, now that we can access a library that the scribes of Alexandria could never have imagined.

Still, to give a serious answer to the question: it's the wrong question.

Photography has had so many uses and so many users, that it is absurd to ask what was popular in a particular time, or even in a particular place at a particular time.

Photography has had so many uses and so many users, that it is absurd to ask what was popular in a particular time, or even in a particular place at a particular time.

That's probably something that the OP would need to take up with their college lecturer, seeing as it appears that we're being asked to do their homework for them...

If not answers, I would like URLs where I could read about these topics.
but of course you would - it's easier to cut/paste from a website than re-type from a book.

However, to help, I've got a URL that may be of some use...

@Coltarescu - We're generally a friendly bunch here, and you've actually had some great initial suggestions already from @StephenM and @myotis - but to be honest, you've got a little bit of flak because you've simply wandered in here, asked the question that your college lecturer has posed to you as a theme for an essay / dissertation and sat back hoping someone would write your paper for you. Now, this is not what this section of the forum's about - we're not here just to do your homework for you - this is an area for serious discussion (with the odd light-hearted diversion) into various concepts of Photography. Now - if you seriously want to get some information about this topic, please, share with us YOUR thoughts, give us YOUR insights, and how YOU see things over those time periods - I'm sure after that there would be far more people in here that be willing and eager to share their own insights, often backed up by the fruits of their own research...

I'm sure he's gone never to be seen again but I think it says a lot about the personalities that post these threads that they pretty much always don't even bother with any social niceties, such as "Hi, I'm stuck with my assignment please could someone help" etc. I strongly suspect that the people with some social skills are not asking on random forums but doing the work themselves or collaborating with their peers.

Go on, let's have some sport since the thread is already a bit ragged. How do you know what it in the mind of this guy's lecturer? How do you know what the teaching aims are? How do you know how this question fits into the curriculum? How do you know that it is the wrong question?

I'm tempted to make a small point here. There is a difference between fads. styles and trends. What is overwhelmingly popular at a given period may well not be what in hindsight is seen to be of most overall significance. Many (all?) movements in art have been against the popular style and opinion, and derided by contemporaries. I have the Impressionists in mind as a very well known example - and, like many movements the name that has stuck has been the one used as originally a derogatory term.

There are two different histories that could be written, if we place things by date - the most popular style (or subject, or philosophy, whatever) or that which has later come to be seen as the most significant. Just in case this is an essay question, and the thread being followed, I'm not sure if I want to be any more specific and just offer this as another suggestion to follow up.

Edit for grammar.

Last edited:
How do you know what it in the mind of this guy's lecturer?
I don't know if there is a lecturer.
How do you know what the teaching aims are?
Not knowing if there is a lecturer, I cannot conjecture what teaching aims there might be.
How do you know how this question fits into the curriculum?
Not knowing what teaching aims might exist, I can draw no conclusions as to what the possibly non existent curriculum might contain.
How do you know that it is the wrong question?
That's easy - if I were going there, I wouldn't start from here. Of course, not knowing where here is, I might be able to start from here and still get there. It all depends... :thinking:

Since Schrödinger's name has been brought up, the cat must be dead.

Back