Associated files with Irfan view by mistake...

Name
Eddie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I downloaded Irfan view to allow me to resize files for the forums, however I seem to have associated all images with the programme by mistake... How can I change this back to Windows picture viewer/ photoshop?

Also out of interest, do people associate their image files with their editing software? Or just image viewer initially to speed up viewing photos?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie.

I ended up with my image files associated with Omnipage (scanning software) even when I changed what they opened with, the image icons still said "omnipage image".

If you right click one of those images and click "open with"... look down the list for photoshop or whatever... and click it.. but check the box underneath saying "always do this for this type of file"

I uninstalled Omnipage but they still said it, so Im looking forward to replies to this one.

I don't associate my image files. If I want to view them, I just open them in Picassa.

In XP click Start> Control Panel > Folder Options > File types.

It lists all file types and what they are currrently associated with.

Highlight the file type eg. jpg and > Change to change the association.

Do what richpips suggests.

Frankly, I don't like image managers and only use image viewers (it's also one of the reasons why I dislike Adobe's Lightroom, among other things) for viewing my images after navigating into the appropriate folder. It's just faster than using an image manager in most cases (that could be just me, though).

Janice, try searching the web for jv16 PowerTools 1.3 (it's the last free version). If you're not on Vista, it's a very nice tool for searching registry quickly for stuff and other related tasks.

Or, if in Vista, Start > Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Associations.

Hi all,

fabs - thanks for that, I have Vista and that worked. My image files now open with Windows photo gallery.

However I still have the same issue as Janice, funnily enough - image icons still display with the Irfan view logo!!

Any ideas on that?

Hi all,

fabs - thanks for that, I have Vista and that worked. My image files now open with Windows photo gallery.

However I still have the same issue as Janice, funnily enough - image icons still display with the Irfan view logo!!

Any ideas on that?

Hmm, don't know about that one. :thinking: But you say the images open in windows photo gallery, very odd, but better than the other way round I suppose. You may find that it corrects itself after a while, Windows can be funny like that.

Back