Astro - nikon adapter query

Name
Edit My Images
No
Shame we don't have a dedicated astronomy forum, but anyway, I've a query regarding the celestron t-mount and nikon adapter ring.

I'm just wondering the purpose of the screw on the side of the t-adapter. Its clearly there for something to be held inside the tube, but once its connected to the camera you wont be putting anything else in it? or will you? It just seems out of place. Any thoughts?

PXL_20230511_142812501

PXL_20230511_142836482

That doesn't look like any t adaptor I've ever seen, although I've never used any Celestron kit. Having Googled it, I'm still none the wiser about what that grubscrew is for. Unless it's to take an all-in-one adaptor of a different size? But I've never seen one like that. Maybe a Celestron money making excercise, because I'm sure both bits of the t kit I bought recently came to less than the cost of that thing. The only other thing that comes to mind is a larger eyepiece. What size is the hole at the top? If it's 2" you could use it to fit a 2" eyepiece to a 1.25" focuser, but..............
Does it all fit the scope and work as it is, or haven't you used it yet? Some scopes (my solar scope being one) have a thread for the camera adaptor to screw direct to the focusser without any t rings, although it seems a bit awkward to do in practice, but probably safer on an equatorial mount when the camera can get in some nerve wracking positions.

Back