Beginner Astrophotography(Newbie Alert)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All. I hope to try some astro stuff, I have a Lumix G1, with 14-45 and 45-200 Vario lenses.
I`m pretty sure that the 14-45 is the one I should be looking at using ?
But is this any good? I do not see a lot of Lumix info. on the forums sp far.
The lens is F3.5-5.6, am I right in saying I will need a lower F, of 1.8 or 2.8 ?
Has anyone tried it with this, if not, what compatable lens should I be looking at, thats not too expensive?

I’ve only done it a couple of times but I used a 12mm f2 on an apsc camera. Basically you want the shutter speed to be at 20sec or under otherwise the stars start to form trails ( I think it’s 20sec). I used iso 1600 and whatever aperture I could. I don’t think I used f2, probably f4. Thing is if your shooting the stars with anything in the foreground you either have to stop down the lens to get both in focus or focus stack. Luckily the 12mm has a huge depth of field fairly wide.
Just give it a go. I don’t see why 14mm at 3.5 wouldn’t be ok. Maybe you’d have to increase the iso or the shutter speed but who cares, only your first go

Wider the lens, the longer you can leave the shutter open for without star trailing.

Faster the lens, the more light it will let in which allows a lower ISO and therefore less noise.

Shooting multiple images and stacking them in free software will give you cleaner images.

I shoot 24/1.4 on FF.
My boy shoots 12/2 on APSC.

have a search on the web for the astrophotography 500 rule, something that I learnt from this forum along time ago that has helped me avoid star trails.

Back