Attacking gulls robbed.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I was on my way to look for tree creepers in the woods at Lackford lakes, and while dalying to watch the azure damselflys, a young couple came past.

I thought to give them a chance to pass by the woods and allow things to settle, I'd make a little detour to a close by hide.

At about 50 yards distance there were two black headed gulls attacking an egret that was standing it's ground even though it had to duck and dodge wildly.

Being a n00b to this I had no idea what was going on, and having seen the gulls attack anything that came close to them in the past, I assumed they were just being their normal attitudy selves.

Canon50D7373.jpg

Canon50D7378.jpg

Canon50D7382.jpg

Canon50D7389.jpg

While the gulls were attacking the egret a crow appeared from behind.

Canon50D7427.jpg

Still unaware what was happening at this point I took my finger of the shutter button. Only to watch the crow through the veiwfinder pick up and fly away with the gulls single egg.

There was no sign of the tree creepers, but I did get a shot of the azure damsels though :)

Canon50D7511.jpg

Canon50D7485-1.jpg

Thanks for looking, any criticism most welcome :)

Last edited:
I like them all but the damsel flys is great, four on the same twig facing the same way and they all stayed while you took the shot(y)

Last edited:
Haha. I loved the story and photos, thanks for posting them.

Nice set and story

I like them all but the damsel flys is great, four on the same twig facing the same way and they all stayed while you took the shot(y)

Nice set but love the damsel flies (y)

Thanks Matt, James, Alasdair and Garry (y)

As I watched that crow pick up the egg, I jammed my finger on the shutter button again, but the moment was lost. I was fairly pleased with the shots though as they're the first I've ever got at that distance with any semblance of clarity.

The damsels were a part of passing sychronised acrobatic group, they wanted the publicity :)

Nice story board set of pictures Ant (y)
Corvids are habitual nest robbers (as you have found out :) )

Are you sure you didn't clone in the Damsel fly "stack"? :D
well spotted on that one as well (y)

Nice story board set of pictures Ant (y)
Corvids are habitual nest robbers (as you have found out :) )

Are you sure you didn't clone in the Damsel fly "stack"? :D
well spotted on that one as well (y)

Thanks Chris :)

The pile of reeds was put there by the SWT volunteers after they'd cut them down last autumn, I somehow didn't expect the gulls to have nested in such an exposed spot.

You can actually see the egg in the last few shots, dark grey speckled. In the third one its right on the left of the photo, level with the gulls feet. I was quite happy to see it at that distance.

The damsels were on a twig sticking out of the water, I caught a KF on there last year. It was a breezy day and they were all on the leeward side.

Brilliant set and a great narrative:clap:

The 4 damsel flies on a stick are a classic............or if not, will be soon:clap::clap:

Thanks Phil :) that was at the double decker hide on the far side of the pool.

Back