attempted white background

paulc

Is leaving, again.
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
for years now my two girls who are 13 and 11 have run a mile as soon as they heard the velcro on the camera bag so i was thrilled when my youngest one who actually thinks she is hillary duff asked me to take her picture against a white background.

so never having done anything like it before I made a heath robinson set up using 2 flashes, a sigma ef 500 and a sb800 and a white sheet, the rest of the light was coming in through the adjoining conservatory.

i know that they are very very high key and could do with more contrast but i had trouble with shadows and getting the flashes to fire together was a nightmare, on top of this my eldest daughter has a super reflective forehead so I had to do some burning in ps.

I can feel a home studio set up coming on

it is however my very first go and these are some of the 25 million that i took.
randj1-1.jpg

randj2.jpg

randj3.jpg

randj4.jpg

setup.jpg

Last edited:
good start ,
wonder if bringing the twin flashes back alittle or the girls forward to the cam

I had most of them over exposed because I couldnt fire the sb800 and the sigma together, the sbs preflash set the sigma off and on the wire I couldn't get the sigma to blow out the sheet so had to take them very exposed and put my faith in p/s.

chris, the wide angle picture of the set up makes the room looks huge, however the room isnt huge and i was strapped for space. I am thrilled with them and they have printed out brilliantly..thanks for the input.

Last edited:
sb on cam, sigma set on its own/slave

or Hot Shoe Adapter

Last edited:
sb ended up off camera on a wire and sigma as slave..but I really wanted the sigma to blow out the sheet and the sb to light the girls but I am going to make a reflector or get another sigma flash.

is it poss to have both one slave, and using the camera flash ,

poss a Hot Shoe Trigger Adapter

Last edited:
unfortunately Chris the preflashes of the sb set off the sigma and will only fire together in commander mode and with out ttl on the flash otherwise you get the sb preflashing.

Maybe a cheap shoot through brolly would help soften the light and cut down the reflections?

Although I have to confess I've never tried one, just from what I've read ;)

4th picture - lower of the two girls. superb pose/hair/angle of shot. Shame the higher girl has something of a strained smile. Really like higher girl in picture two. Given the limitations of your "studio" very good work indeed, and just goes to show how difficult it is to get two people both looking perfect at the same time.

Back