Audio and Loupes

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Ok, I finally used my 5d mk II for video the other day and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The end result was a bit of a hack given how I came to be filming something other than for a personal project whilst also carrying out other duties, however I'm keen to do a bit more.

I ran into one or two major hurdles. Firstly sound, I need an alternative to the built in microphone but despite watching a myriad of tests I can't really decide which is better:

External Recorder (Zoom h1) which introduces another step (Pluraleyes) into my workflow

or

Rode Stereo Videomic (maybe the pro), which doesn't, but costs nearly double (and I don't really want hiss). Is there a way to easily monitor and listen to levels with this option?

The other problem was focussing with shallow DoF whilst handholding. For this I think I could do with a loupe for an extra point of contact and a closer look at things.

The LCDVF looks like a safe bet (and probably about the top of my budget), any thoughts or alternatives that aren't the Zacuto offerings?

Thanks
Paul

Back