Audio problems

Name
Alex Tyler
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

i have just bought a AKG D5 dynamic mic along with a xlr to jack so i can plug it straight into the camera, the only problem is that i am not really getting anything back.

Could it be the cable or do i need some sort of amp inbetween.?

Any ideas.?

Tyler

Just quick interviews when i am out and about at races and events, just want to be able to grab the mic out the bag and plug it in the camera.

The D5 is a dynamic mike and doesn't need powering. I suspect it's something quite basic such as the camera isn't switched to external mike, or the cable to XLR to jack adaptor isn't one-to-one, or you have a D5S and it's switched off.

It'll be something like that.

The D5 is a dynamic mike and doesn't need powering. I suspect it's something quite basic such as the camera isn't switched to external mike, or the cable to XLR to jack adaptor isn't one-to-one, or you have a D5S and it's switched off.

It'll be something like that.

Camera usually detects when something is plugged in for a external mic so isn't that.

One to one.? can you explain that.?

One to one means the various cables and connectors are wired correctly from start to finish, from when multicore cables are made up to connect two bits of kit. pin one to pin one, pin two to pin two and so on.

An XLR has three terminals, a jack plug has two. One of them is either not connected or is joined to the earth of the jack. There is a possibility that the correct terminals of the mike have not been carried through to the jack plug.

One to one means the various cables and connectors are wired correctly from start to finish, from when multicore cables are made up to connect two bits of kit. pin one to pin one, pin two to pin two and so on.

An XLR has three terminals, a jack plug has two. One of them is either not connected or is joined to the earth of the jack. There is a possibility that the correct terminals of the mike have not been carried through to the jack plug.

So you reckon it will be the cable, it was only a cheap one. Any way to check before hand if its one to one or should they be like that anyway and its *** i bought a cheap one.?

The cable is almost certainly wired 1-to-1, but there is a slim possibility that one of the wires in it is open circuit.

I am a now retired, but spent 35 years as a BBC TV Outside Broadcast Engineer. If I was presented with the scenario you have outlined, first of all I would make no assumptions that just because something is new, or has worked perfectly well up until the present, that it works now. I'd genuinely check that the mike was switched on, and that the camera really was set to external input, I'd eliminate the cable by either replacing it or if that wasn't possible, by bypassing it. The XLR to jack converter should be wired like this.

You can eliminate the cable by plugging the mike directly into the converter. Test the combination by plugging it into a computer audio input and seeing if you get anything.

The cable is almost certainly wired 1-to-1, but there is a slim possibility that one of the wires in it is open circuit.

I am a now retired, but spent 35 years as a BBC TV Outside Broadcast Engineer. If I was presented with the scenario you have outlined, first of all I would make no assumptions that just because something is new, or has worked perfectly well up until the present, that it works now. I'd genuinely check that the mike was switched on, and that the camera really was set to external input, I'd eliminate the cable by either replacing it or if that wasn't possible, by bypassing it. The XLR to jack converter should be wired like this.

You can eliminate the cable by plugging the mike directly into the converter. Test the combination by plugging it into a computer audio input and seeing if you get anything.

Just messaged someone i know about the issue and said this "The output of a mic like the AKG D5 is designed for mic level inputs, your camera really needs a line level input for you to get the levels you need."

So it seems to be the camera input that is the problem

I came across this on t'internets
In addition to its internal microphone and external mic jack, the EOS 7D also allows audio recording to be disabled entirely through screen 4 of the Record Menu.

Failing that, is there a menu item on the camera that selects between mike and line level?

I came across this on t'internets

Failing that, is there a menu item on the camera that selects between mike and line level?

Sound recording is on, have used an extern shotgun mic before so this is always set.

Not settings for external / internal or mic /line

Back