Aurora last night

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Am I going mad or was there a serious Aurora display last night in Northern England? Did anyone else see it?

I was driving up from the South East back home to Newcastle and for about 90 minutes from North Lincs into South York's I could see lights dancing around the sky. At first I thought it was one of those lasers and then I was looking to see whether something in the car was being reflected onto the windscreen.

I know it's not that uncommon in the UK, but I've only ever seen it here as a faint glow at best. This was a full-on dance that went on and on. Really frustratingly, I'd actually thought about chucking my camera and tripod in the car and decided not to. And by the time I got home around 11pm, clouds had descended :(

It’s very very unlikely. It was clear here in North Yorkshire and although good views of the MW there was no aurora. I think there’s a sub storm noted from the sun which should give increased chances of aurora in the UK over the next couple of days, but nothing to suggest it would have been visible last night.
you’d need an incredible set of circumstances to see full on dancing aurora in England, plus, with it competing with interior light, street lighting and other light pollution, it just couldn’t be.
you had me checking the data to be sure though, as even though I was out watching the sky, I wanted to double check I didn’t miss anything

I'm not an expert (it has to be really, really good to be seen in the south west....) but just had a quick look and I can't see anything that would indicate strong auroral activity over the UK at the moment. Someone else may know better.

Am I going mad or was there a serious Aurora display last night in Northern England? Did anyone else see it?

I was driving up from the South East back home to Newcastle and for about 90 minutes from North Lincs into South York's I could see lights dancing around the sky. At first I thought it was one of those lasers and then I was looking to see whether something in the car was being reflected onto the windscreen.

I know it's not that uncommon in the UK, but I've only ever seen it here as a faint glow at best. This was a full-on dance that went on and on. Really frustratingly, I'd actually thought about chucking my camera and tripod in the car and decided not to. And by the time I got home around 11pm, clouds had descended :(
I saw it in the Trossachs faintly in September 2015 in the dark. Not a strong thing and tbh not a thing that grabs me but definitely there.

If you can see them then its gods way of telling you that you're someplace too cold and to head to more Clement pastures [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Cheers all. Very strange. Maybe I'm losing my marbles but it I felt like I'd ruled everything else out.

Under 30s anti-maskers party with lasers and fireworks? ;) :exit:

I saw it in the Trossachs faintly in September 2015 in the dark. Not a strong thing and tbh not a thing that grabs me but definitely there.

If you can see them then its gods way of telling you that you're someplace too cold and to head to more Clement pastures [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm willing to bet it was the testing of the lasers for the Leeds Laser Light City starting tonight:

They've been testing the lasers the past few evenings and they were running up to about 11:15pm last night.
They must have been visible over a huge area as it was mostly clear with only a few scattered clouds.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago a pub some ten miles away had bands playing in a marquee after dark, and outside they had some kind of laser projecting shapes like simple flowers upwards - there was a high cloud layer and the images were remarkably clear and seen from miles away.

Back