Autumn Portraits

Name
Jess
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I would post a few from a set I took of my sister at Westonbirt last month. I really like how they turned out, the first two in particular, I love the colours in them.

brenna_copy.jpg

brenna3_copy.jpg

eyes_copy.jpg

brenna5_copy.jpg

brenna6_copy.jpg

The last one probably isn't that technically great, but I love the way the sunlight is coming through her hair, makes the picture look a bit magical.. or that might just be me :p

Let me know what you think :)

Lovely set Selkie, but oh how I wish the light on the #1 was a little better on your sisters face - that's a lovely shot... everything matches. Your sisters gorgeous hair, her clothes, her complexion - all against a lovely autumn background.

Did you shoot this in RAW and are thus able to try some recovery...?

Lovely set Selkie, but oh how I wish the light on the #1 was a little better on your sisters face - that's a lovely shot... everything matches. Your sisters gorgeous hair, her clothes, her complexion - all against a lovely autumn background.

Did you shoot this in RAW and are thus able to try some recovery...?

I was disappointed about that too, but no I didn't shoot in raw :bang: I have been spending time this month taking photos in raw and trying to get to grips with it, for some reason I find it all a bit confusing!! Do you think it's worth buying a reflector - would it have helped in that situation with the limited light?

But thankyou :D she's so lucky to have such nice hair. And I'm so lucky to have such a willing model too!

Yes I would think a reflector would have helped in that situation. However, you may be able to do something with levels in Photoshop... I can have a go for you if you like, but it would need to be later as I am about to board a plane!!

Oh how lovely... as already said.. the colouring in these is wonderful........No.1 for me... with a little more light on the face and that would be perfect. (y)

Ohh exciting! Well I've tried to adjust the levels on the photo before, but I end up making her skin a funny colour. I am usualy able to get it right on most shots but with this one, her skin gets a yellowy tinge to it and I'm just not good enough with photoshop yet to know how to fix it! But feel free to have a play :)

Hey Selkie - I have done a quick edit but i can't link to it as you don't have the tick box checked in your profile to show you permit members here to edit/amend your images. Happy to upload to gallery and link here if you grant permission to do so.

J

OK, I posted as you were... just as I need to turn off in a few mins, just in time...:)

selkie_edit.jpg

Of course I don't mind you posting it, I'll go and change the bit that says you can edit!!

Done... :) ^^

I would normally do a better job, but I am rushed and need to get onboard...!! Hope you like it.

I agree with MM, a reflector would definitely help to push some light back into the face. Love the colours and really like number 2 :clap:

Thanks :D I've been meaning to get a reflector for a while but I've never gotten round to it, will definitely get one now. Wish I could teleport back to taking that shot!

Thankyou Janice! I'm going to try and edit it a bit in photoshop to see if I can get a bit more light there, but to be honest I think I need to take it again to get it right. Roll on next Autumn... unless the maples are still that nice!!

theMusicMan - thanks for taking the time to do that, it's definitely a lot lighter. Is it all done with editing the levels? Don't know if it's my screen being dodgy but it looks a bit overdone and theres some crazy blue stuff by her right eye!? But it shows how you can get more detail/light in through photoshop, I'll have a play myself later and see if I can get the hang of it! Thanks and enjoy your flight! :p

Here is my try, just subtle enough to bring some light to the far side of her face:

brenna_copy.jpg

Ooh thanks for posting that, it's a lot less harsh than the original, def an improvement. Makes her look soo freckly! I think I'll try and have a go on the original and see if I can get something nice out of it :)

Ooh thanks for posting that, it's a lot less harsh than the original, def an improvement. Makes her look soo freckly! I think I'll try and have a go on the original and see if I can get something nice out of it :)

Nothing wrong with freckles!! I know, I have 1 or 2 of my own!! ;) :D

Wow! .... just the kind of portraits I love!
I think the 2nd is my fave, she looks so angelic.

I do like the rich colours of the 1st shot though, and I hope you dont mind but I too have had a play! :)

brenna_copy1.jpg

Absolutely adorable ... your sister is a star! (y)

Yikes, when I saw my edit I realised I must have been on dope or something... I blame the lights in the airport!!

I have updated the image now...

selkie_edit2.jpg

The last shot of the original post features some really nice backlight. The problem is that the camera saw the bright light behind the subject and therefore underexposed her face. Next time, be sure you're exposing for the subject's face, letting the background fall as it may.

Just a quick and dirty edit with the dodge tool below.

- CJ

(Edited to add that it makes me INSANE how much different images look when posted here than they do in photoshop. I'm looking at my edit in PS side by side with the one in the post, and they look nothing alike. When posted, the color lost its saturation and the shadows went light. Anyone know what's up with that? It's incredibly frustrating.)

brenna6copysp2.jpg

Its number two for me, I think its a hell of a capture

Back