Autumn Woods

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out earlier and took this, was a bit difficult as I had dog in one hand, camera in other!!! Did some processing but seems a bit to blurry???

C&C welcome

Fairlands1.jpg

Thanks

I'm liking the processing but I would have prefered some sort of subject in the picture i.e. your dog maybe?!

Looks like a brilliant walk though, very atmospheric, I love woods.

Like that one. The long flat sweep of the ground works well.

(I understand the difficulty holding the dog lead at the same time as a camera. I have a nylon sling worn bandolier fashion with a karabiner on it to which I clip the lead to leave boths free for the camera).

Well, I actually quite like this. If I may offer some crit though, as there are a few things I might suggest doing differently...

Firstly, in addition to the dog, I feel the main reason the shot appears blurry, is because you used F/4 and focused on the distance. At 50mm, this wont extend the DoF far back enough to bring the foreground into sharp focus. I suggest, to eliminate the blur in the shot, simply use a tripod. This will eliminate camera shake, allow you to use a much larger aperture value, and let you use the cameras base ISO, instead of 1600. If the ground is dry enough, standing on the dog lead will free both hands for the minute it takes to set the tripod up and place the camera on it. alternativly, tie the dog to a tree for a moment.

Compositionally, the focal point is a touch too central for my taste. Sometimes, this can work sometimes as indeed there are no rules for composition, only guidlines. The treeline on the right of the path has a nice curve to it, and so here is what I might do. Take a moderate step to the left, and also move the position of the focal point about 1cm to the left, and about 1, maybe 2cm down. What this will do is as follows. Firstly, it will move the focal point to a more pleasing position in the frame. It will also have made you turn your camera to the right slightly, bringing the cut off tree into the frame. It will also have accentuated the long sweeping line of trees on the right of the path. By moving the camera up, you are reducing the emptiness of the foreground, and give the trees above more of tha chance to add to the shot. I feel that this composition would just add/accentuate some of the components and give the photo more impact.

Hth :)

PS: By tie the dog to a tree, I mean hook the lead over a branch.... Don't actually tie it to a tree! :D

Nice pick, but excellent crit by Woodsy.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks Woodsy for the crit, helps having some good advice. The woods aren't to far away from where I live so I may try and go up there again sometime in the near future, and take what you've said into consideration, and maybe keep the dog at home this time lol.

Glad you guys generally like it, thanks!!!

Have you got one in colour? I really think autumn pics should be colorfull, because this is what is beautifull about autumn.

Lovely pic - and ditto foto k, would be nice to see it in colour (y)

I like the B&W one too, I would love to see a wee more contrast especially to brighten the birght bits.

Back