Average price for setting up a simple website

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
What is an average cost of setting up a website for someone.

Also, is it best to get them to pay for the webspace and name etc instead of getting a regular payment from them.

You should be able to pay annually for web hosting etc so that shouldn't be a problem! Don't know about the costings though, I did my site so that was bugger all :LOL:

No such thing - bit like asking a builder what the average cost of building a house is. more info needed! How many pages - are you doing graphics/photography - feedback form? guest book? Flash/html?

BTW your own website is really nice - did you do that?

No such thing - bit like asking a builder what the average cost of building a house is. more info needed! How many pages - are you doing graphics/photography - feedback form? guest book? Flash/html?

BTW your own website is really nice - did you do that?

I was thinking the same thing, i'll get some more info first.

Yes I built it myself, I think it still needs a bit of work but I just havnt had the time to sort it out.

Also, is it best to get them to pay for the webspace and name etc instead of getting a regular payment from them.

Are you looking at this from a buyers or sellers point of view?

If you are looking to start designing for others there are 101 considerations to take into account. I have been designing and coding for years and my fees vary massively; so much so I no longer charge; I work purely on a barter basis now. :D

My experiance, for what it is worth, I use Fasthosts www.etc.com I built the site myself using easy to change templates and pay £15 per month for hosting, email basically the lot! I found it very easy to set up and I find it very easy to change anytime I need/want to. I'm not sure if I am allowed to put my website address on here? If I'm not then I am sure the mods will delete it and I apologise for that, www.highandmightytraining.co.uk

Best regards

Paul

I use clikpic.com - really easy to set up, reasonable cost (starting price is very cheap) and never had any problems with it.

Most of the templates that they have available look professional too, in my opinion.

Just called the guy, basically whats a site to sell off himself as a house builder, carpenter, and so on.
He wants it to rate high on google etc and he wants to offer advice for a price (not sure how to do that) I suggested that we have a contact form where people can ask simple DIY questions and then donate money via paypal or something and then have a consultancy part of the website where people can contact him for real work.

He also wants to show off the previous clients and the work done, so photographs and so on.

I was looking at 1and1.co.uk since I know how they work and they are cheap.
Looking at some of the other similar websites out there they are very simple the only thing im not sure about is getting it to rate high on google.

Are you looking at this from a buyers or sellers point of view?

If you are looking to start designing for others there are 101 considerations to take into account. I have been designing and coding for years and my fees vary massively; so much so I no longer charge; I work purely on a barter basis now. :D

What things to consider?

Just called the guy, basically whats a site to sell off himself as a house builder, carpenter, and so on.
He wants it to rate high on google etc and he wants to offer advice for a price (not sure how to do that) I suggested that we have a contact form where people can ask simple DIY questions and then donate money via paypal or something and then have a consultancy part of the website where people can contact him for real work.

He also wants to show off the previous clients and the work done, so photographs and so on.

I was looking at 1and1.co.uk since I know how they work and they are cheap.
Looking at some of the other similar websites out there they are very simple the only thing im not sure about is getting it to rate high on google.

What things to consider?
This is a commercial project, you should be offering a polished commercial product, and charging a commercial rate. Essentially this guy wants the lot.. SEO, ability to take money, interaction. The price and site need to reflect this. If you really dont get SEO, dont touch the job, also the interactive bit would be pretty tricky for the un initiated

The cost of hosting will be negligable compared to the site. We charge £100 pa for unlimited commercial grrade hosting

I recommend 123reg.co.uk for both hosting and domain name.

You could buy the domain/hosting for them and add an admin fee on top of this.

You could get this done on the cheap, but it will likely be cobbled together.

For a professional job, for what you've specified you could easily spend a 4-figure sum and I'm not talking London prices.

Effective SEO takes time to establish organic rankings for relevant search terms that people will actually see (i.e. first few pages for a search term). For the short-term, there's pay per click advertising via the likes of Google AdWords, but unless you know how to target and manage your ad campaigns you can end up spending lots without getting much benefit in return.

Get a budget. If you decide to take on the job then get a written spec and get it agreed. Make it very clear that any deviation is likely to attract additional costs.

If they're serious about their website as a part of their business then they need to be serious about investing enough money and time into it.

You could get this done on the cheap, but it will likely be cobbled together.

For a professional job, for what you've specified you could easily spend a 4-figure sum and I'm not talking London prices.

Effective SEO takes time to establish organic rankings for relevant search terms that people will actually see (i.e. first few pages for a search term). For the short-term, there's pay per click advertising via the likes of Google AdWords, but unless you know how to target and manage your ad campaigns you can end up spending lots without getting much benefit in return.

Get a budget. If you decide to take on the job then get a written spec and get it agreed. Make it very clear that any deviation is likely to attract additional costs.

If they're serious about their website as a part of their business then they need to be serious about investing enough money and time into it.

That is exactly what I thought, but much better put

Thanks guys, i'll mention about the SEO to him and that it does cost a lot. I have never really worried about it on my site, I figure people are going to search for my name and then it comes out top anyway.

Back