B&W Slide film?

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
I was just asked by a friend during a chat about photography, if I knew of a process whereby colour slides could be converted to B&W ones. Apart from taking another picture of the colour slides with B&W slide film, I didn't know!
I don't suppose it's a request that labs are going to get every day, is it? I bet it's not one of the things that most of them do.
Any suggestions, anyone?
Also, does anyone quickly recommend somewhere he could get Agfascala B&W slide film processed?

Many thanks from my friend and I, everyone.:)

Right, for anyone else who pondered it before not replying:D, I just got an answer from my dad, the LRPS and general know-all. Taking a shot of the colour slide using B&W slide film would be plop as I thought, due to the widely different amounts of contrast in the two films - you'd get a very washed out B&W slide. He lost me a bit in the explanation, but it was something along the lines of making contact sheets with lith film or something, which would (alledgedly) give you a high contrast B&W negative, then taking another contact sheet off that with your B&W slide film. Or something. He got a bit technical in the middle as well and lost me entirely, but I think that was the basic jist of it.:thinking:
My dad's a mine of amazing information and experience but it's all quite old now, some of the processes he recommends went out of style in the 80's, chemicals haven't been made for years, etc, and on top of that, his personal standards are so high that he, maybe, could say a certain bit of kit, or process, is rubbish and not worth doing, just because it was aimed at amateurs, you know?
Bless him though, he knows his stuff.
Feel free to let this drop to the bottom now!:LOL:

You can do it, using colour filters in the enlarger or copier, or by taking a slide image with B&W in mind.

You'd have to do it by hand yourself, because it would be no different to making a B&W image from colour in photoshop.

Just a straight conversion of one to the other, would as your dad said, come out sub optimally.

Orby1, I hope you get your father recorded sometime.

Joxby - up to your normal standard then...

*wakes up*
*slaps face*

Slide copying (taking a photo of a slide) is plop in comparison with the original slide.
Contact printing would be the most efficient way to preserve the maximum amount of detail, "contact" because un-exposed lith film is placed directly on to the original slide and then shot with light, the same thing happens when going from lith to slide b/w.
Contact prints are comparably lossless, there is no enlargement through a lens, so little degradation, any loss is at molecular level.
You could always scan it as colour and digitally convert it, it won't give you a nice slide but you'll get an image you can print...or project.

Back