Baby Pictures *something different*

Name
Adele
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I showed a couple of the pictures to the childs parents, who liked them, but wanted something a little different.
Mum is a big Elvis fan, and has a quite "Arty" Elvis canvas on the wall. And the "Elvis" room is now being turned into the "Baby Room" but wanted something that went along with everything else.
I took some kind of inspiration from that....and applied a bit of stuff in Photoshop and Voila...here we are.
The parents have yet to see them....but what are your ideas?

2081385295_3918ae20e9.jpg

#2 - I'm unsure about the selective colouring.
2082175638_d09e00b082.jpg

Any Views?

The first one is good, I can imagine it will look good in a big print, although there are some burnt out highlights. I don't like the selective colouring, it detracts from the subject, imo.

If you have a chance to reshoot it might be nice to get a solid background behind the baby, the split between the back of the sofa and the wall is a bit distracting.

All in all, and what's my opinion worth anyway :) but I think it's a good photo, the eyes are the draw and they are nicey done (y)

The first one is good, I can imagine it will look good in a big print, although there are some burnt out highlights. I don't like the selective colouring, it detracts from the subject, imo.

If you have a chance to reshoot it might be nice to get a solid background behind the baby, the split between the back of the sofa and the wall is a bit distracting.

All in all, and what's my opinion worth anyway :) but I think it's a good photo, the eyes are the draw and they are nicey done (y)

I Alex, I understand what you are saying, and I am going to be having a studio-shoot with her, hopefully sometime soon. But these were took in her home setting, and wanted them as natural as possible. I mean...what can you do other than what they ask. The customer is always right! ;)

I quite like the first shot, slightly too fussy background, the teddies nose is getting most of my attention tbh, but i think it works in the setting you suggested.

The 2nd i dont like, the noise and eyes are a little too much for me.

I mean...what can you do other than what they ask. The customer is always right! ;)

The customer always knows what they want, whether that's right is another matter ;) I'd love to see your studio shots when you've done them cos these are a great start.

Better, but now I notice a dust spot or something on the top right hand corner, easily cloned out. Sorry, seems like I'm being really picky but I do like the shot :)

Im liking the re-crop... just the dust-bunny now. :)

As for what im liking... well, as a photo not a lot (sorry), but as a Canvas or V. Large print I think it would look very nice.

Im liking the re-crop... just the dust-bunny now. :)

As for what im liking... well, as a photo not a lot (sorry), but as a Canvas or V. Large print I think it would look very nice.

So...just let me get my head around this...as im now confused.
You dont like it as a photograph....but think that it would look nice as a canvas or print?
:thinking: Now that confuses me. Cos surely you have to like it as a photograph to think it'll look good as a canvas...
Or am I just confused? LOL

It confuses me tbh... I think the amount of PP takes it away from being a photo and personally I dont like that style of shot, but, i can imagine it Large on a wall looking good, ive seen other canvases for sale with similar processed photos of celebs...

Nope that doesnt clear things up.. Oh well, i know what i mean.

It confuses me tbh... I think the amount of PP takes it away from being a photo and personally I dont like that style of shot, but, i can imagine it Large on a wall looking good, ive seen other canvases for sale with similar processed photos of celebs...

Nope that doesnt clear things up.. Oh well, i know what i mean.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I think I know what you're getting at.

I think the PP makes the photo in this case, although I haven't seen the original. So I agree with Darryn that it would make a good print, but because people would be looking at the pp of the subject and not the subject itself? Does that make sense?

I'm not slagging off your photography in any way, god knows that getting a baby to hold still long enough to take an unblurred photo is a gift within itself :) I just think that people will be drawn to the highlights of the picture rather then the picture itself...am babbling now and not talking any sense :bonk:

OK, my honest thoughts.

The original color shot is nice, beautiful soft light. Really, though I don't think the PP'ed one works at all.

I understand the look you're going for, but I don't think this is a good shot to use as a base. I'd suggest using a shot with more contrasty light and edgier composition to begin with. As it is, I really just see a pretty image that now looks like a bit of a mistake.

Stash this image away for a few days (a week, if you can) and try looking at it with a new set of eyes. See if you still like it at that point. If not, I'd take another try at it, now that you know what the clients want.

Alex, I understand what you are saying, and I am going to be having a studio-shoot with her, hopefully sometime soon. But these were took in her home setting, and wanted them as natural as possible. I mean...what can you do other than what they ask. The customer is always right! /QUOTE]

Therein lies the problem. You wanted the photos to look as natural as possible, while the parents wanted photo-based pop art. Tough to succeed when you don't know the expectations!

FWIW, I don't believe the customer is always right. I do believe in knowing what the customer wants before the session, so I can refer them elsewhere if they're looking for something that I can't or won't do.

Hope that's helpful and isn't coming across too harshly.

- CJ

I think I know the effect your trying to achieve, a kind of vector/pop art result (totally apologise if i have the wrong end of the stick).

If i'm right, your half way there....but not quite. It takes a bit of work, but the results are fantastic

The crop is better but not my cup of tea, I like the original best Adele.

Alex, I understand what you are saying, and I am going to be having a studio-shoot with her, hopefully sometime soon. But these were took in her home setting, and wanted them as natural as possible. I mean...what can you do other than what they ask. The customer is always right! /QUOTE]

Therein lies the problem. You wanted the photos to look as natural as possible, while the parents wanted photo-based pop art. Tough to succeed when you don't know the expectations!

FWIW, I don't believe the customer is always right. I do believe in knowing what the customer wants before the session, so I can refer them elsewhere if they're looking for something that I can't or won't do.

Hope that's helpful and isn't coming across too harshly.

- CJ

It is helpful CJ thank you. They wanted the photos as natural as possible, then said they wanted some poparty stuff...which wasnt what I'd shot....So it was trying to make as good with images that werent for what they should have been for.
I do believe customer is always right, even if you dont think they are.
And if the person likes an image, but you dont....they'll buy it anyway....

As stated, was just a "try out"

Thanks.

I do believe customer is always right, even if you dont think they are.

Adele, don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that a client shouldn't be accommodated where it makes sense to do so. I'm simply saying that I, as a photographer, have to stay true to what I do, rather than trying to bend to fit every client.

If a couple walked into an Italian restaurant and requested Mexican food, would you expect the restaurant to accommodate that? ;)

And if the person likes an image, but you dont....they'll buy it anyway....

Yes, but then they'll show their friends, and I will end up doing that image I don't like over and over.

Just my personal philosophy. Certainly you should go about your photography in whatever way feels the most comfortable and rewarding to you.

- CJ

Adele,

Yes, I have worked in many customer service situations, retail included. I still don't agree that the customer is always right.

I'm not trying to irritate you, but I sense that I am. I apologize if that's the case. I'll try clarifying once more and see if I can do a better job of what I'm trying to say.

When I take on a client, I like to be very clear about my style, my approach, and the results they can expect from me. I want to be very certain that the potential client wants what I'm offering. If the client wants color work, or heavy retouching, I feel it's my job to connect them with a photographer who offers those services, because I don't. My priority (as is yours, I'm sure) is to be sure the client gets just what they're looking for -- and in my case, I do that by referring work that doesn't match up well with what I do.

That way, I avoid getting into situations where I've promised something I can't or don't want to deliver, and I prevent the client from being disappointed.

I just want to be clear that I'm not telling clients "tough luck!" and sending them packing. ;) I'm basically doing "the customer is always right" BEFORE the shoot.

Again, every photog should work however feels best to them. I'm just describing my philosophy.

- CJ

Back