Baby Stick Insect

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
This is a baby wild Stick Insect, I found about 10 of these tonight in a bush along with a couple adults. The baby stick insects were roughly 2cm long and much more colourful in appearance than the duller parents.

This is a manual stack of 3 handheld shots at F11, the stack was aligned and done in photoshop.

Baby Stick Insect by Neil Burnell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Normally its best to get all the subject in shot but this works really well, colour, clarity, sharpness and detail are all in this shot, Great stack.
Thats another for the wall Neil (y)

Cheers mate

Normally its best to get all the subject in shot but this works really well, colour, clarity, sharpness and detail are all in this shot, Great stack.
Thats another for the wall Neil (y)
Cheers Graham! I agree with you in most cases about getting a full subject in view, however these little babies are no more than 1mm thick and a couple cm long, they are a strange and hard subject to get right compositionally.

Cheers mate

Cheers Graham! I agree with you in most cases about getting a full subject in view, however these little babies are no more than 1mm thick and a couple cm long, they are a strange and hard subject to get right compositionally.
Agreed Neil, tricky little buggers.

Last edited:
Great shot Neil right up there with your best look at the detail in the eye and compositionally great. Eye dead centre one for a good rule break! @Graham take note ;)

background colour suits too :D

Great shot Neil right up there with your best look at the detail in the eye and compositionally great. Eye dead centre one for a good rule break! @Graham take note ;)

background colour suits too :D
Cheers Bryn, they are hard to capture with a nice composition, I'm not 100% on this one but I am pleased with the details and colour, prob the prettiest one I have found!

"Cracking shot Neil.(y)

George.

Wonderfull shot it's always difficult to know what to do with long subjects , your take is spot on

Like the shot, but I'm interested to know where they were taken?
Do we have these in the UK?

Great shot....But you assume that the viewer knows what a baby SI looks like, I don't.

Therefore my initial reaction was one of confusion, is that 'all' of it or 'part' of it or what?

'Confused' Dave in Wales.

Like the shot, but I'm interested to know where they were taken?
Do we have these in the UK?
Thanks Dave
In Brixham South Devon, apparently they have been around in the South West for over 100 years. Heres a link for more info: http://phasmidstudygroup.org/phasmids/uk-phasmid-sighting

stunning detail very well done
Thanks

Great shot....But you assume that the viewer knows what a baby SI looks like, I don't.

Therefore my initial reaction was one of confusion, is that 'all' of it or 'part' of it or what?

'Confused' Dave in Wales.
Thanks Dave, thats just the head section with the red eye, it has it's front legs forward in this shot.

Well I never !
I'd best start being more attentive when in the SW.

Back