Backdrop and light kit? Any good for the money?

Name
Conan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone, I was looking to get a backdrop for photographing people, and come across kits that include lights as well for what seems a good price.

I just wondered if anyone has experience with these types of kit, and if they are any good or to be avoided. I do need some sort of backdrop, so thought I might as well get one made for photography instead of bodging it making my own.

Would I be better buying the parts separately, or together as a deal like this?

This is the kit in question- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photogra...095590?hash=item4b548d54a6:g:S0EAAOSweZpb5Ugg

Thank you all for your help.

Sorry but no, total junk that's barely adequate for video use, and of no use for still photography.

By a flash kit instead, or if money is tight then get a separate background plus a single flash head and a softbox, plus a 5-in-1 reflector, which will get you started.

Sorry but no, total junk that's barely adequate for video use, and of no use for still photography.

By a flash kit instead, or if money is tight then get a separate background plus a single flash head and a softbox, plus a 5-in-1 reflector, which will get you started.
What he said. ^

Oh, thank you for letting me know.

What could I get on a budget? Backdrop, and a flash kit? How much would it set me back?

So would I be better getting something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vamery-1...m=223103546930&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982 Which is only £11.98, and buying a yongnuo speed light and soft box?

I can add backdrops, or use photoshop to change the colour or backdrop pattern.

Would a Yongnuo speed light be ok to learn with? On a tight budget for a few months but if it lets me practice I will be happy.

Last edited:
I'd go for a studio flash.
I took portraits for years with one light, a brolly and a reflector.
I had one roll of blue background paper. In fact I still have the blue paper, must be 30 years old now.
What is your budget?

You could get this sort of thing.
For the money, its miles better than what you were looking at.
If no one bids on it, you could get it for £87
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Interfit-Home-Studio-Set-EX150-MKII-INT182-/273900549623

This would take a roll of background paper
Phot-R 2x3m Studio Background Support System, 2x 2m Stands and 3m Crossbar Adjustable Portable Photography Set + Carry Case Kit for Paper Muslin Cotton Vinyl Non-Woven Canvas Backdrops https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015OVMMNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5.veDbFF298YT

Last edited:
I have rarely used a backdrop, my whole house has ‘photography friendly’ walls though. And with enough space and careful lighting it’s not difficult to create a black bg.

If you haven’t got a speedlight, and have a need for one, then that might be the best start*. But if you’re interested in studio lighting, a mains powered head makes more sense.

*even if starting with a speedlight, buy Godox, a TT685 will cost a bit more than an equivalent Yongnuo, but they’re slightly better built and you’ll be buying into a better ecosystem. This will save money and frustration later on.

You need to spend more on a light stand than your original post, but a 60cm pop up softbox and Bowen’s adaptor is about £30.

In fact a speedlight setup is a similar cost to a mains powered setup, but offers you the option of portability and it’s a much more versatile tool.

I'd go for a studio flash.
I took portraits for years with one light, a brolly and a reflector.
I had one roll of blue background paper. In fact I still have the blue paper, must be 30 years old now.
What is your budget?

My budget is as low as possible, we are in the process of moving home at the moment (house is on the market, not actually moving yet).

I have rarely used a backdrop, my whole house has ‘photography friendly’ walls though. And with enough space and careful lighting it’s not difficult to create a black bg.

If you haven’t got a speedlight, and have a need for one, then that might be the best start*. But if you’re interested in studio lighting, a mains powered head makes more sense.

*even if starting with a speedlight, buy Godox, a TT685 will cost a bit more than an equivalent Yongnuo, but they’re slightly better built and you’ll be buying into a better ecosystem. This will save money and frustration later on.

You need to spend more on a light stand than your original post, but a 60cm pop up softbox and Bowen’s adaptor is about £30.

In fact a speedlight setup is a similar cost to a mains powered setup, but offers you the option of portability and it’s a much more versatile tool.

My walls aren't very photography friendly, but with a background support it would make life easier for me.

I will check out the Godox TT685 if the Yongnuo ones aren't that good.

I need to also do some reading on how to trigger the flash with my D3500. This is just something I am interested in trying to learn.

Thank you all for saving me from buying a rubbish kit and throwing money away.

Last edited:
My walls aren't very photography friendly, but with a background support it would make life easier for me.
The 'joy' in photography for me is learning how to work with what we've got - as a noob photographer, I used to be 'jealous' of photographers shooting in exotic locations. 30 years later my favourite images are where I've made a good image in an absolute s***hole.

I will check out the Godox TT685 if the Yongnuo ones aren't that good.
It's not that the Yongnuo's aren't good, the build quality is 'OK'. But that the Godox flashes are a fab ecosystem...
I need to also do some reading on how to trigger the flash with my D3500. This is just something I am interested in trying to learn.
You 'could' fire a remote flash as a slave from your camera, or bodge up a sync cable - however the norm now is radio triggering.

This is where the Godox system is streets ahead - with everything from their smallest speedlight up to their most sophisticated studio lights all using the same trigger, so you can start with a single cheap mains head or a speedlight, and add whatever you need simply and without frustration.

The next consideration with Godox is whether to buy from a cheap box shifter or purchase from a reseller and get a warranty, I have a mix.

However - most of my recent 'studio' work has been done in my daughters lounge using a huge patio door as the light source.

The trouble with cheap backdrops is creases and wrinkles, especially in a small-ish space where you can’t get the subject a good distance from the backdrop. You can do a reasonable amount with an 8’ x 4’ sheet of 6mm ply. Paint it, wall paper it, use both sides, stretch cloth over it, it stands up on its own and it looks like a wall. Bit of a big thing to store but IME better than cheap cloth or folded vinyl.

The trouble with cheap backdrops is creases and wrinkles, especially in a small-ish space where you can’t get the subject a good distance from the backdrop. You can do a reasonable amount with an 8’ x 4’ sheet of 6mm ply. Paint it, wall paper it, use both sides, stretch cloth over it, it stands up on its own and it looks like a wall. Bit of a big thing to store but IME better than cheap cloth or folded vinyl.

I will look into the plywood idea, do you think that would be better than me buying a stand to use for backdrops?

I really have been enjoying photography, it's changed my outlook on life for the better. If I can, I want to take photos of people such as portraits, make over style shots that could boost peoples confidence, and various other things in between.

What would the minimum, apart from my camera, be that I need to create photos that my friends and family could display in a frame? I'm thinking the kinds of photos people show me they have had done professionally of their family around the house.

I will look into the plywood idea, do you think that would be better than me buying a stand to use for backdrops?

I really have been enjoying photography, it's changed my outlook on life for the better. If I can, I want to take photos of people such as portraits, make over style shots that could boost peoples confidence, and various other things in between.

What would the minimum, apart from my camera, be that I need to create photos that my friends and family could display in a frame? I'm thinking the kinds of photos people show me they have had done professionally of their family around the house.
I'd use a stand and paper.
It's more portable and easy to store.
You've already been told what equipment to use.
1 light, 1 reflector, 1 suitable background.
Or be imaginative and all you need is your camera.

Well, you need lights of course, but above all you need to understand the lighting process. The kit that you linked to includes 3 (terrible) lights, simply because most people think like you and go for a solution in a box, but it's actually harder to start off with 3 lights simply because you'll inevitably make mistakes and you won't know which light is doing what, and where the problem is coming from, so the best bet, for most people most of the time, is to start with one good light (a studio flash) plus a reflector - the reflector can often do the job of a second light and, if the bug gets you and you want to go further, buy a second light and maybe a third - that's about as many as you're ever likely to want to use on the actual subject, although extra lighting is always going to need to be used on the background, unless you want it to be black.

To save time, here's a quick copy and paste from my book "Lighting Magic" - hope it helps.
"Use just one light
“Natural” lighting is light that looks natural. Typically, if you take a shot outdoors using the sun as the light source, the sun will be fairly high in the sky so the light will come from more or less above and the shadows will angle downwards. Indoors, much the same applies, because typical room lighting is positioned high. Therefore, if you want your flash shots to look natural, place the light high in relation to your subject.

There can be practical limitations to this if your ceiling is low, and the easy way to get around this is to avoid shots of people standing, because you may not always be able to get the light high enough. Always remember that, regardless of how many lights you use, just one light does nearly all the work (usually between 80 – 90%) and that any other lights that you use are just making relatively small changes.

The light that does nearly all the work is called the Key Light, and this is the one that is normally set high up, to create the natural look, and it is typically placed directly in front of where your subject is facing. This means that if your subject is facing your camera, the starting point for the key light is likely to be directly above your camera, and if the person is at an angle to the camera then the light will typically be in front of where their head is pointing.

Never, ever, use a ‘standard lighting setup’ because it can never produce anything better than mediocre results and which is about as creative as “Painting By Numbers” – the lighting needs to be arranged to suit both the effect that you want it to produce and the qualities of your subject. For example, lighting that suits a beautiful woman with perfect skin isn’t likely to be work well on an old man who has spent his life working outdoors in all weather conditions…

The lighting process
It doesn’t matter how many lights you have, what your subject is, how much space you have or how much experience you have, the process to follow is always:

1. Know the purpose of the shot.
2. Decide on the look you want to achieve.
3. Get your subject in the right place and in the pose that you’re going to start with.
4. Get your camera in the right place, with the lens that’s going to place it at the distance that will produce the right perspective for you, and at the height that you’re going to shoot at.
5. Leave the lighting until last because, although it may be the most important single ingredient, the positioning needed for the lighting is affected by everything else. So, at this point you should arrange the key light in the place where it produces the qualities you want, ignore any ‘faults’ for now.
6. Adjust exposure, using flash power and/or lens aperture and/or ISO setting at this stage, because severe under or overexposure will exaggerate or hide lighting problems.
7. If you want an effect light, for example a hair light, introduce that now. Adjust its position and power and take test shots until you’re happy with the result.
8. If you need a Fill light (because although the shadows are in the right places, they are too strong for your taste) introduce it now. Typically, a Fill light is best when it is an on axis fill, i.e. in line with your camera lens, not off to one side.
9. Start with the Fill light at far less power than the key light, take a test shot and if necessary increase the power and then take another test shot. Keep doing that until you’re happy, this is much better than having a Fill light that’s too powerful.
10. Adjust power until either your flash meter or camera histogram tells you that the exposure is where it needs to be.
The purpose of the shot probably needs explaining, and getting it right is vital. For example, you may want to photograph a product to sell online and need photos that show exactly what it looks like, warts and all. Or the photo may be needed to show the product at its best, with a very different approach, making it look as desirable as possible, often at the expense of accuracy.

And it’s the same with people. If someone wants you to photograph them then you need to know why they need the photo. Once we become adult and start moving through life, we all tend to have different identities that are visible to different people. For example your subject may want the photo to show that she or he is

A loving parent
An exciting lover
A skilled worker
A friendly, caring person

And so on. Knowing the purpose of the shot, before you start, will affect both the pose and the lighting.

Job done, or at least the lighting is now functional, but don’t be afraid to experiment with different lighting to get different effects.

Lighting can get a lot more complicated than that, but if you remember the one, simple principle that I’m going to tell you about now, it will always be simple, and it will always be magical too.

That principle is that there is only one sun on this planet, so we try to use only light. Other lights are added only if necessary, either to correct problems or to create special effects, but never routinely."

Going back to your question, a background can be almost anything. Getting a massive sheet of ply and painting it is certainly a solution, although a cumbersome one. The "Goalpost" background supports that a lot of people buy are certainly more convenient but most of them are just about adequate for paper backgrounds, which don't last long, or for muslin ones, which crease badly - however muslin is the best affordable choice for black. Decent quality vinyl is far too heavy for most of these background supports.

But do you actually need a background at all? Many of the best portraits are environmental ones, i.e. taken against a natural roomset background. Personally I don't see anything particularly professional about using a studio background, they do have their uses but the results often look stereotyped and artificial.

Makeover style shots are a bit of a cliche, hopefully they've pretty much had their day now, although of course there are still a lot of people making money from them.

If I may?
If I wanted to record my mates band and make it sound like the stuff on the radio, what would I need?

The answer is exactly the same, some gear and the knowledge to use it properly.

It could be done in a garage carefully with a simple deck used well or in Abbey Rd.

The truth is, I couldn’t do it with either, but I could learn. And it’s easier to learn with something modest. Buying the gear isn’t the important bit, practice is.

As Bob says, a simple start is one light and a reflector. Or even a window, or an anglepoise and some imagination.

This is far from perfect, but the family love it.
Sitting on the stairs, wall to rear and window to the side. No lights or backgrounds.
You can see the stairs and the embossed wallpaper.
I'd would take better shots if I set up my background and lights etc, but this was a spontaneous shot that took 2 minutes.

P1100183a.jpeg

Depends what you want to spend and how many different backdrops you want (and how good you are with a can of paint :) ). Anything cheap off ebay is probably going to be folded and so unless you can get your subject a good distance from the background so shallow DoF throws the background out of focus, any little wrinkle, fold or imperfection will show up and need editing out in PP. Rolled paper or vinyl plus stands would be better but a bit more costly. That said There must be somewhere in your house where you can find enough un-cluttered wall for a head shot, even if you have to move chairs and take a painting off the wall, as Phil says get some practice before you start worrying too much about backdrops.

I would suggest that you start by watching some youtube videos on basic portrait photography using speedlights (flash guns) and go from there.

If I may?
If I wanted to record my mates band and make it sound like the stuff on the radio, what would I need?

The answer is exactly the same, some gear and the knowledge to use it properly.

It could be done in a garage carefully with a simple deck used well or in Abbey Rd.

The truth is, I couldn’t do it with either, but I could learn. And it’s easier to learn with something modest. Buying the gear isn’t the important bit, practice is.

As Bob says, a simple start is one light and a reflector. Or even a window, or an anglepoise and some imagination.

I like that comparison, as I studied at the British academy of new music in London specifically music production and live sound, both electronic and full bands.

We had a huge mixing desk that was from a older studio, I cannot recall it from memory but remember I was told it was quite a well known one, which was the main recording studio, and also smaller ones. I have a small setup at home that is quite capable. Quite a lot of music people hear now is made in very similar bedroom studios.

I will look into a light and a reflector. The pop up backdrops seem quite handy too.

I just don't really know anything about lights, not sure if I would need say a soft box or something like I posted at first, but a bit better, or flash?

Sorry for the questions that probably seem basic, I just want to try my hand to something new.

EDIT: I saw another reply, apologies. I will check out using a speed light and some portrait tips on youtube :)

Last edited:
May I suggest this youtube video, I found it straight forward and feel it may cover what you are after.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuoc53wcnbc
This saves a lot of typing.
As you can see though a ‘softbox’ isn’t a light source, it’s a modifier. You can light a softbox with cheap continuous lights (not recommended) a speedlight (better) or a larger mains or battery powered flash (better still).
Other modifiers are simple reflectors, beauty dishes, umbrellas, strip boxes etc.

The modifier and distance are what change the ‘look’ the light produces.

There’s no ‘wrong’ but there is inappropriate- like using a Marshall stack and expecting a soft warm jazz guitar sound.

Back