Backpack Advice Welcomed

Name
Frank is what most call me
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning All,

I'm just looking for recommendations/user experiences for a backpack, multi-purpose as it will be used for trips out as well as a home for my equipment.

It will be home for a Sony a6*** aps-c body, a7*** body, Tamron 17-70, Sony 200-600G, Sony 70-200G, 5.5" field monitor and the usual chargers etc.

Some features that I would like to see are, single rear panel opening as quick access isn't required, bottle storage, tripod storage, preferably at the bottom end rather than the side, no or at least removable waist strap/belt. I have had a couple of cheapo's from Amazon in the past but now looking for something with a bit of longevity at around £150, give or take.

T.I.A. :cool:

for fitting 200-600mm there is a whole guide!

I have personally tried many of those options and the one I have really liked is the think tank mindshift backlight series. Both 18L and 26L will work nicely depending on which size you prefer.

I have a Vanguard R44, I'm not sure it would be quite big enough, but there's an R48 as well. It's a nice bag, lots of well thought-out bits that I like. The only thing I'm not keen on is that the tripod carrying is on the front (or rear) of the bag, so the weight is a long way behind you. Not a huge issue for me as I rarely take everything out, I tend to just put what I need in a shoulder bag for the day.

Morning All,

I'm just looking for recommendations/user experiences for a backpack, multi-purpose as it will be used for trips out as well as a home for my equipment.

It will be home for a Sony a6*** aps-c body, a7*** body, Tamron 17-70, Sony 200-600G, Sony 70-200G, 5.5" field monitor and the usual chargers etc.

Some features that I would like to see are, single rear panel opening as quick access isn't required, bottle storage, tripod storage, preferably at the bottom end rather than the side, no or at least removable waist strap/belt. I have had a couple of cheapo's from Amazon in the past but now looking for something with a bit of longevity at around £150, give or take.

T.I.A. :cool:
If you're carrying a big lens like the 200-600, and a tripod, I would really suggest you get one which DOES have a wait strap - it makes a huge difference to how comfortable the bag to carry.

If at all possible, I'd take the kit that needs to go in the pack to a well stocked shop and test fit everything.

FWIW, chargers, leads etc. don't get packed in the camera bag, they get left in the room or the car where charging is possible rather than being carted everywhere!

If you are set on the rear panel opening (I'm assuming you mean the side closest to your back when carrying) this may limit your choice - I've finally settled on an Osprey with the trampoline mesh harness and an insert. I have to say once adjusted and with the belt tightened it's the best bag I've had comfort wise. My previous experience with photo specific rucksacks at the low to mid end price wise is that
a) The harness is not that comfortable if you are carrying any distance
b) the bag is focussed on camera gear protection - often overly so imo so that they are heavy
c) Often there's not much space for non photography items

Bags designed for hiking tend to have more pockets and attachment points for extras etc and are often lighter. Obviously it depends on what is your most important priority

If you are set on the rear panel opening (I'm assuming you mean the side closest to your back when carrying) this may limit your choice - I've finally settled on an Osprey with the trampoline mesh harness and an insert. I have to say once adjusted and with the belt tightened it's the best bag I've had comfort wise. My previous experience with photo specific rucksacks at the low to mid end price wise is that
a) The harness is not that comfortable if you are carrying any distance
b) the bag is focussed on camera gear protection - often overly so imo so that they are heavy
c) Often there's not much space for non photography items

Bags designed for hiking tend to have more pockets and attachment points for extras etc and are often lighter. Obviously it depends on what is your most important priority

That's why I originally went for the Osprey Kamber. Rear opening, nice fit and waistbelt, designed for ski/snow boarding so plenty of protection and attachment points. I've done several 7-10 mile days with it.

Went with the Mindshift Backlight 36l in the end, thanks for all the help & guidance.

Back