Backup software

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend some free ( not a trial ) backup software which I wish to use on a laptop.
I already have Acronis with a perpetual licence for one computer but it seems that the software is only available on subscription now which I do not want so I cannot buy another perpetual licence.
Windows does have an inbuilt backup system but from reading up on it it appears not to do what I want.
EaseUS todo seems to do the job although the free version is a bit nag to upgrade heavy, does anyone have a suggestions ( Google Drive etc do not offer sufficient space on the free version) Fback up seems reasonable but does anyone have any other suggestions that they use.
Thanks

I have an Acronis Perpetual Licence too and I won't be going subscription, the above is what I have used for a while in the past and it works well.

I have an Acronis Perpetual Licence too and I won't be going subscription, the above is what I have used for a while in the past and it works well.

Thanks for that I will give it a go

+1 for Macrium Reflect Free, it has some annoyances, but generally it works really well.

If the laptop has a western digital hard drive you can download the Acronis software for free

There are various custom OEM versions of Acronis (e.g. Seagate calls theirs DiscWizard). Have a look at the website of your backup drive manufacturer - I think they are usually limited to backing up to a drive made by that company, but they don't care who makes the source drives.

You can still get Acronis on a Perpetual Licence as I have just done so by upgrading to TI2021 for three computers.

I use VEEAM Agent for Microsoft Windows. I used to use the paid for version where I worked to backup our servers. The Windows client linked below is a cut-down version and is free to download

There are various custom OEM versions of Acronis (e.g. Seagate calls theirs DiscWizard). Have a look at the website of your backup drive manufacturer - I think they are usually limited to backing up to a drive made by that company, but they don't care who makes the source drives.

Thank you for that I have had a look on the seagate website and it looks as if disc wizard is a clone of acronis-I will persue further

Thank you for that I have had a look on the seagate website and it looks as if disc wizard is a clone of acronis-I will persue further
As it was an external seagate drive I had bouhht I downloaded the drive wizard and it is Acronis in all but name and it worked a dream.
So thanks to everyone who replied you have sll been most helpful in sorting me out.
Chris

I used to use Carbonite until I had a hard drive fail. The restore speeds were throttled so badly it would have taken me years to restore everything. The technical support was non-existent, just blaming my internet speed (which is 330mbps and was running at about 8% utilized) so I cancelled my subscription and switched to Backblaze. They also do a hard disk option should you need it (with a refundable deposit on the device) and the trial restores I’ve done have been far faster.

I also use the OneDrive allowance I get with Microsoft 365 as a secondary backup for critical stuff.

Finally, I use Duplicati Free version for taking local copies to external usb HDDs.

I used to use Carbonite until I had a hard drive fail. The restore speeds were throttled so badly it would have taken me years to restore everything. The technical support was non-existent, just blaming my internet speed (which is 330mbps and was running at about 8% utilized) so I cancelled my subscription and switched to Backblaze. They also do a hard disk option should you need it (with a refundable deposit on the device) and the trial restores I’ve done have been far faster.

I also use the OneDrive allowance I get with Microsoft 365 as a secondary backup for critical stuff.

Finally, I use Duplicati Free version for taking local copies to external usb HDDs.
I have had one occasion to backup from Carbonite which went quick and well but as always I think, people do have different experiences and I'm sad to hear yours was so bad. I have added Backblaze to my list of options for the future should things not be positive with Carbonite. Thank you.

SyncBackFree by 2BrightSpakrs works well for me.

Back