Bag that can hold two DSLRs with lenses on?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

My Lowepro Mini Trekker has been a fantastic bag for me but I would really like to be able to have both my DSLRs ready to go straight out the bag. The Mini Trekker just doesn't have the room for that.

Hoping to find a bag where I can have a 40D with a 100-400 L IS and a 30D with a 17-40 L fitted plus room for other (short) lenses etc.

I know it's a tall order but has anyone seen anything that would fit the bill?

ive got a crumpler brians hot tub, the centre section is big enough for a 20D with a 70-300mm lens on it + hood with space to spare lengthways so a longer lens would surely fit in, i also have my Eos5 in one of the side sections with a lens attached to it, usually a 50mm but it will also fit in with a short zoom id presume, lots of space for lenses and flash guns dotted around as well as a nice mesh pocket at the top of the camera section for accessorys, cards, filters etc.
surely one of the larger lowepros would be of a similar size

Are you sure your mini trekker can't cope? Try taking out the longer separators and positioning them side to side rather than end to end.

Depending on if you want to fit them with grips attached, a Lowepro stealth reporter 650 AW, and (I think) 500 AW can do this. One with grop attached in the middle, and another without grip attached on the other side.

Are you sure your mini trekker can't cope? Try taking out the longer separators and positioning them side to side rather than end to end.

:thinking:

Just tried that (not sure why I didn't think of it myself!) and I can get all my stuff in but the dividers aren't as strong as I would like. Not sure I would want to run with in on my back.

Maybe keep the bag and buy some different dividers? Can you buy dividers?

Thanks for the ideas guys. (y)

Im well on my way to owning pretty much every bag in the Lowepro range, for carrying the 2x bodies and 2x lenses you stated in the first post id use the Minitrekker myself, if you are finding it a tight squeeze take a look at the photo-trekker, its a much larger bag, but, you will be able to fit all your gear, flashes, filters, batteries, flash, butties, small-medium houseplant, kitchen sink, etc... Its a great bag, id highly recommend having a look at one, its not only bigger, but, it also has better internal supports and extra padding and back-position adjustment, even with all my gear in it, it feels magically light when worn, its only when you take it off and lift it by the handle you remember just how heavy it is. (some clever weight distribution)

^^Gord^^, i hope you dont mind me posting up in your thread but im also having a very similar issue to your self. Got my 30d+100-400 and 350d+17-40/24-105. Currently I have the Tamrac Expedition 7 - http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-tamrac-5577-expedition-7-backpack.htm

And also a Crumpler December Quarter - http://www.cambags.com/canon/1d/shoulder/Crumpler_december_quarter_desc.htm

Prob is I too cant find a way of fititng both boddies with lenses in the tamrac, i can fit both in the crumpler, but it really doesnt leave much room for anything else.

What I really need is a bag that can take both bodies with lenses mounted, and spare lenses and other accesories.

The tamrac pro 12 looks ok that hypnotic recomended, although from the pick on the site it still possibly looks like a squeeze to get 2x bodies with lenses mounted (maybe that pick doesnt show the best layout)

This is what I ended up with using the Mini Trekker....

IMG_0005.JPG

This is what I ended up with using the Mini Trekker....

IMG_0005.JPG

How solid do you feel that setup is. That is very similar to how I arranged my tamrac. But, in standard setup there are two top to bottom deviders that are pretty stong, that adds strength to the bag, when I move them and setup like how you have, it takes a little rigididy away from the bag. Think I will have another go at setting up the bag and see what happens. Thanks for the photo though ^^Gord^^ (y)

It's not as bad as I first thought. I zipped up the bag, strapped it to my back and ran around for a few minutes; everything stayed where it should.

I looked at this Tamrac.... http://www.tamrac.com/617.htm ... but it's not a backpack design and doesn't look deep enough to cope with the 100-400 L IS.

The Lowepro Photo Trekker looks good ..... http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Photo_Trekker_AW_II.aspx ..... but again it would be another case of having to adapt the internals to cope with the two lens equipped bodies.

I think I'm going to stick with the Mini Trekker until I get the 300 f/4 L and then I will need to go for a bigger bag; I suspect the Photo Trekker.

I have the minitreker for walking/cycling and the Computreker for Sport where I can just leave it. That fit's two bodies and lenses in easily.

The only problem I can see with Gord's setup is that the main camera body is up against the base of the bag and would take more of a knock when you're putting the bag down unless you always do it very gently.

The photo trekker is huge and the internals are much more rigid and padded to deal with any layout you can throw in there.

Here is mine with 5D+24-70f2.8, 1dmkII+300f2.8 and 70-200f2.8, also in there are the 580ex, PD70x, Lowepro Gloves :p and 1.4xTC + a lot of spare batteries, filters and memory cards in the front pockets.
phototrekker.jpg

All this talk of bags has led me to have a quick lok about, and I think ive found my ideal bag for now; The Lowepro Super Trekker AW II. :D Its huge! Last time I want for the Nanau Pro Alpha, but even though its pretty damn big and well designed, im already starting to outgrow it.

I use the Tamrac Expedition 7 which can comfortably carry (aside from batteries, filters, HDD):

x2 1D's, 70-200 2.8 IS, 24-105 4, 12-24 4.5-5.6, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, Manfrotto 055PROB with 322RC2.

Alternatively the Lowepro Slingshot 300AW is OK for 2 bodies, 70-200, 24-105 and another lens but no tripod (much lighter than above aswell!!!!!!! :))

Finally, and least practical, Lowepro Nova 5. I tend to carry one body with 70-200 attached and a few spare lenses and body in the bag.

But, as suggested earlier, Cambags is the best site for bag reviews

Mine can carry three but she gets tired quickly :LOL:

Damn, I knew I would spell that wrong lol :p

The only problem I can see with Gord's setup is that the main camera body is up against the base of the bag and would take more of a knock when you're putting the bag down unless you always do it very gently.

This was my thought also. Definately something im trying to steer clear of.

The photo trekker is huge and the internals are much more rigid and padded to deal with any layout you can throw in there.

Here is mine with 5D+24-70f2.8, 1dmkII+300f2.8 and 70-200f2.8, also in there are the 580ex, PD70x, Lowepro Gloves :p and 1.4xTC + a lot of spare batteries, filters and memory cards in the front pockets.
phototrekker.jpg

Dreeder, thats looks like an awesome bag as we discussed last night it does seem to hold rather a lot of kit!!

I use the Tamrac Expedition 7 which can comfortably carry (aside from batteries, filters, HDD):

x2 1D's, 70-200 2.8 IS, 24-105 4, 12-24 4.5-5.6, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, Manfrotto 055PROB with 322RC2.

Alternatively the Lowepro Slingshot 300AW is OK for 2 bodies, 70-200, 24-105 and another lens but no tripod (much lighter than above aswell!!!!!!! :))

Finally, and least practical, Lowepro Nova 5. I tend to carry one body with 70-200 attached and a few spare lenses and body in the bag.

But, as suggested earlier, Cambags is the best site for bag reviews

Is that both 1ds with lenses mounted?? I know you can get a lot of kit in the Expo 7 but its specifically having the cameras ready to go out of the bag im after.

Mine can carry three but she gets tired quickly :LOL:

I might invest in one of those Canon Bob!! :D

Indeed, I did try to get a row of padded inserts in but there just isn't the room. Luckily I always put my bag down as shown in the picture so I should be able to live with it in the short term.

@ DreederUK, you've just sold me on the Photo Trekker. I thought it would be the bag for the job and your photo backs that up perfectly. Ta.

PS, it's like a whos who from OcUK photography section in this thread! :wave:

Is that both 1ds with lenses mounted?? I know you can get a lot of kit in the Expo 7 but its specifically having the cameras ready to go out of the bag im after. :D

Yes - 1DmkIII with 70-200 attached in the centre section and 1DsmkII with 24-105 attached in bottom right (camera back against side wall and lens running along bottom) - that combo wont work with an extender attached - not quite enough room.

Totally offtopic (sorry peeps)
but Dreeder .. where do you get those leather lens covers? :love:

You get one of those on all the Canon super telephoto lenses, where a normal lens cap would be the size of a plate. The one for my 500mm is a huge and it's a real pain in the arse to put on and off.

tamrac cyberpack 8 here. Takes a 1DMkII with 70-200, 20D with 24-70, few other lenses including the 100-400, P-2000, flash, piles of other junk.

Yes - 1DmkIII with 70-200 attached in the centre section and 1DsmkII with 24-105 attached in bottom right (camera back against side wall and lens running along bottom) - that combo wont work with an extender attached - not quite enough room.

Hiya Jonnyreb, I dont suppose I could trouble you for a photo of that setup in your bag could I??

I would be very grateful :)

Hiya Jonnyreb, I dont suppose I could trouble you for a photo of that setup in your bag could I??

I would be very grateful :)

lol - no problem

1439123010_589577f8e6_o.jpg

excuse IQ - used Blackberry and RIM aren't hot on toys for boys! Featuring x2 1d's, 70-200, 24-105, 17-40 and 35. Room also for another couple of lenses and a TC - bags of room for batteries, filters, cards etc in windowpane pockets and the puches on the front, between which nestles the tripod.

This shot shows what was available to hand (speedroller is the usual home for most bits) and i'd take more care with the inserts if i was going out - but you get the picture

Just an update, I got myself a Photo Trekker AW off eBay shortly before XMAS and it's spot on. It's big and the padding inside is a step up from the Mini Trekker I was using before. Weight isn't too bad either.

IMG_0006.jpg

Just an update, I got myself a Photo Trekker AW off eBay shortly before XMAS and it's spot on. It's big and the padding inside is a step up from the Mini Trekker I was using before. Weight isn't too bad either.

IMG_0006.jpg

thats what i got it was free with the camera from jessops :D of course we had to barter lol

Back