ball head...

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
i'm thinking about getting a ball head to replace my 804RC2 after seeing how versatile they are yesterday at the gigrin farm red kite shoot.the question is...which one would be best suited to support my sony alpha 350 and 70-200 2.8 lens plus a 1.4X TC?

thanks in advance...

Have a look at the Red Snapper. Ebay, or from the seller on this forum. It's incredible value, works well, and extremely well put together.

Redsnapper........(y)

Another thumbs up for the Manfrotto 322RC2 .

Check out the 322RC2 joystick ball head. I can't recommended it highly enough, plus it's rated for 5kg.

Mine came yesterday, but my word its heavy, I think its going to be so much easyer to use though (y)

Mine came yesterday, but my word its heavy, I think its going to be so much easyer to use though (y)

It is a bit I must admit, but that adds to the feeling of quality for steadyness for me, especially when sticking a heavy macro lens + TCs on it.

thanks for your recommendations..will the redsnapper take the QR plate off the manfrotto heads,particularly the MN200PL-14? i ask as i wish to be able to quick change between tripod/monopod/heads.

another question...can the RC322RC2 joystick head be used for panning without the use for any hands to release it's tightness/position,if that makes any sense?

I think the idea behind the 322 ball head is quick and instant securing of camera position once desired view located .
Not seen any ref to panning with it and cant see how this could be achieved with this model , in fact just tried it ( without cam on ) you cant keep level as you hold the squeeze trigger in to facilitate movement.

Also got this head which allows panning http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~man~Manfrotto~productID~4385~categoryid~158.html

I think the idea behind the 322 ball head is quick and instant securing of camera position once desired view located .
Not seen any ref to panning with it and cant see how this could be achieved with this model , in fact just tried it ( without cam on ) you cant keep level as you hold the squeeze trigger in to facilitate movement.

Also got this head which allows panning http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~man~Manfrotto~productID~4385~categoryid~158.html

cheers rusty..i think the ball head will suit my needs better (y)

Have you considered the Novoflex Magicball from Speed Graphic?

It s a bit like an upside down ball head, in that the ball is attached to the tripod, and the socket to the camera. It allows a lot more flexibility than a normal b&s, and the camera is attached to it using a large knurled knob which is almost as quick as a quick release system to remove it.

Highly recommended (by me anyway).:)

Depends really on budget...

If I could turn back the photographic clock, I'd certainly have gone for something like Really Right Stuff or Kirk etc. from the outset, but depends on what your future aims and aspirations are.

Following on from this recommendation, if you intend to buy long primes etc. for sport and/or wildlife photography, then something which'll hold a lot more then 5 or 8 kgs would be absolutely necessary, otherwise anything recommended would do you fine...

thanks gerry,i will take a look (y)

markta...i'm not really sure where my photography is taking me at the moment,lens wise...the biggest lens i can see me having in the forseeable future is the sony 70-200 F/2.8 G,which weighs in at 1340g.then there's the impending TC(weight unknown) and the camera body @ 582g..so not much more than 2k.

if i do end up with a big prime in the future,i can always upgrade my tripod/head*

*assuming i have the funds for such a big purchase :LOL:

thanks gerry,i will take a look (y)

markta...i'm not really sure where my photography is taking me at the moment,lens wise...the biggest lens i can see me having in the forseeable future is the sony 70-200 F/2.8 G,which weighs in at 1340g.then there's the impending TC(weight unknown) and the camera body @ 582g..so not much more than 2k.

if i do end up with a big prime in the future,i can always upgrade my tripod/head*

*assuming i have the funds for such a big purchase :LOL:

With the amount of tripods and heads I have bought in just 18 months, I could probably have bought a Gitzo and RRS twice over :LOL:, but fair point, if you're not sure where your togging is gonna take you, then something like the Redsnapper should tide you over (y)

I have to agree that the 322 RC2 isn't good for panning whatsoever. I did get a degree of success panning with it, but you have to be extremely careful and steady handed not to shift it vertically....

With the amount of tripods and heads I have bought in just 18 months, I could probably have bought a Gitzo and RRS twice over :LOL:, but fair point, if you're not sure where your togging is gonna take you, then something like the Redsnapper should tide you over (y)

I have to agree that the 322 RC2 isn't good for panning whatsoever. I did get a degree of success panning with it, but you have to be extremely careful and steady handed not to shift it vertically....

like most folk,i would love to do photography for my living,but i'm nowhere near good enough for that,and may never be..but i can still enjoy it nevertheless.i may stay with manfrotto though,as i'm not sure that the QR plate on the redsnapper will fit in my other pod...

Back