Band promo shots

Name
Clarke Kent ;)
Edit My Images
Yes
Was asked by a friend recently to shoot some promo shots for his band who are on the verge of breaking through.

I've not shot this sort of thing before, and didn't want them to look too staged and/or posed.

Would welcome some C&C on how they may have been improved or what works well.

TIA.

Vandals_0246_edit1_jpg.jpg

Vandals_0201_edit1_jpg.jpg

Vandals_0151_edit1_jpg.jpg

Vandals_0042_edit1_jpg.jpg

Vandals_0194_edit1_jpg.jpg

Nice attempt, however this is were being a 'strobist' really comes into play. If you had used an off camera strobe you would have been able to get the subjects to really pop out of the image.

As I said, good first attempt. My only problem is in the last shot, the selective colouring and wide crop really loses the band as the subject. The shop stands out far more than they do :)

Im no expert but.....

1, the guy with the striped shirt is a bit dark
2, id give it a slight straighten
3, the guy in the forground is too distracting, he just doesnt work in the image for me.
4, FANTASTIC, really like it, slight crop of the shoe but it doesnt really matter.
5, I also really like, id probably crop a bit closer but I love the selected colour areas.

All of the above is my oppinion, I hope it helps.

I do like a few of these but my advice would to avoid any setting with signs in it. #4 would lead me to believe the band are called " Blows Yard " and #5 would be " Hot Munchies"

If you could PS the cafe sign to say the bands name that would be good IMO

Feel free to ignore my advice but just a suggestion

I do like a few of these but my advice would to avoid any setting with signs in it. #4 would lead me to believe the band are called " Blows Yard " and #5 would be " Hot Munchies"

If you could PS the cafe sign to say the bands name that would be good IMO

Thats quite true but we are just seeing these images and know nothing of the band. As long as the ones with the signs arent a front cover or anything it shouldnt be too confusing. I do agree photoshopping the bands name on the sign would be a great idea.

Nice attempt, however this is were being a 'strobist' really comes into play. If you had used an off camera strobe you would have been able to get the subjects to really pop out of the image.

Thanks for the feedback. Never ventured in to the world of flash to be honest as it's something I've still not justified adding to the kit bag. I'm thinking it's getting close to time to maybe think about it now though.

Im no expert but.....

1, the guy with the striped shirt is a bit dark
2, id give it a slight straighten
3, the guy in the forground is too distracting, he just doesnt work in the image for me.
4, FANTASTIC, really like it, slight crop of the shoe but it doesnt really matter.
5, I also really like, id probably crop a bit closer but I love the selected colour areas.

All of the above is my oppinion, I hope it helps.

Thanks Luke, it does help certainly. An outside view always sees more than the shooter I think, so it's good to get some feedback on them.

I must admit, the fourth is my favourite too, quite pleased with that one.

Thanks flick. I'd never ignore advice, so thanks for the feedback. I wasn't overly keen on the last shot (and I'm still not to be honest) but the band love it. Horses for courses I guess :shrug:

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Last edited:
Contrast is very flat on all of them. The last one has potential, it's just a pity about the triangular sign in the foreground, it's very distracting. I would be tempted to go back and shoot it again, but with a tighter composition and from a lower angle to remove the shop sign (but keep the takeaway & kebab lettering) just to bring the band members back as the main subject.

Thanks for the feedback Richard and sprog.

I think there's a theme emerging with shot 5!

Interesting that you mention the contrast is flat on all of them sprog. Certainly number 3 is low on contrast, but I thought the others weren't too bad. :shrug:

Thanks for the feedback Richard and sprog.

I think there's a theme emerging with shot 5!

Interesting that you mention the contrast is flat on all of them sprog. Certainly number 3 is low on contrast, but I thought the others weren't too bad. :shrug:

Im no expert but the contrast in 2 and 4 are fine. I might up it slightly in 5 but its not that flat.

Back