Barn owl

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Caught this guy tonight, was just about to leave but saw something moving in a tree hole...and it turned out to be him! :D

Totally uncropped, shot at 200mm on the 1D II....a trip back in the morning is on the cards me thinks :D

JU7F0441full.jpg

A bit of motion blur perhaps...I was doing 12mph at the time :cautious::LOL:

Thanks! I have got others of it, but there were at 400mm and then crops too, so not great quality!

Now I'm a little more aware of his movements I should be able to get something worth while :)

crackin shot for doing 12mph! id be chuffed with it standing still! i keep seeing these when im driving but as usual never have the camera!

i can see you being laid in a ditch at some piont with your cammo netting ..:)

thats what i would do

nice shot ...hope to see closer

ells

That's the plan! I'm pretty sure from which direction he leaves his hole...however even when Im in the car he takes a divert...so just going to have to blend in and sit at the end of the drainage ditch :) That way, so long as he doesn't spot me...he should fly straight at me!

Thanks for the comment :)

Nice one.. i got one down the road from me, i posted my one and only shot.. not a good one either.. but one from the wild!! thats cool...

Im going to try to get a better shot..

Well shot mate..

That's the plan! I'm pretty sure from which direction he leaves his hole...however even when Im in the car he takes a divert...so just going to have to blend in and sit at the end of the drainage ditch :) That way, so long as he doesn't spot me...he should fly straight at me!

Thanks for the comment :)

Have a look at the camo poncho on "ultimate nature gear",look forward to seeing more of that owl,thank you

:thinking:Are they any good? ,for £9.99 you really cant go wrong

I got mine from a camping shop local to me...I generally use it more for the camo than the poncho itself! For £10 it's certainly had it's use! The fact there is a hole in the middle of it makes it good for a makeshift screen if you have two trees to sit between etc...really versatile! :)

....a trip back in the morning is on the cards me thinks :D

Personally think you might find an evening return trip around the same time more rewarding as they will tend to venture out well before dark when feeding young at this time of year... :shrug:

Good spot though and not a bad capture on the move... (y)

And just sitting in a car makes a surprisingly good hide for these when they are in hunting mode... ;)

:p

Personally think you might find an evening return trip around the same time more rewarding as they will tend to venture out well before dark when feeding young at this time of year... :shrug:

Good spot though and not a bad capture on the move... (y)

And just sitting in a car makes a surprisingly good hide for these when they are in hunting mode... ;)

Well he didn't come out until it was pretty much too late to take photographs, I'm surprised any of today's came out!

The sun goes down behind hedges at this location, making it difficult to get a low ISO, high shutter speed etc in the evening! If he is about still in the morning, the sun will be directly on him...and if he isn't about, well I can set up a perch for him and return in the evening!

In the past, there has been 2 perched in the tree, so I presume there is a pair there but there has only been 1 about in the past few times I have seen him.

A gamekeeper stopped by yesterday evening and confirmed my thoughts about another pair (or perhaps the same pair?) about a mile up the road...and definitely another pair in a barn on a farm a couple of miles away. He said he would ask about permission to go onto the land there which would be handy! Just waiting for a call!

Either way, it's a promising start to Summer! :)

I would think that young are a week or two off yet......(y)

I wouldn't disagree with that but if she's already sitting he's still got one hungry mouth to feed... :D

Could be Ven, BOPs ain`t sitting up here yet though......:cautious:

Been a scorcher oop narf all week mate........:D

Forecast is to slash down for the next six months though........:LOL:

Back