Barra, S Uist & Benbecula

Edit My Images
Yes
First selection from the above.

There will be more.

These are all off the borrowed d200. hence it being daytime as it was being used when the light was at it's best grrrrrr.

Comments if you like.

DSC0101.jpg

DSC0065.jpg

DSC0085.jpg

DSC0075.jpg

DSC0063.jpg

DSC0058col.jpg

DSC0017A.jpg

I've tried to give you a selection of shots that show what the west coast of these beautiful islands are like, rather than the usual sunset/sunrise malarky.

Wow I'm quite impressed, white sand, blue sky... looks tropical.

Quick question, photogenically how was barra compared to Skye?

We really looked into Barra this year but our main concern was it seemed to lack, the height and drama that is on Skye, all seems very similar and not very dramatic? Beaches and sand dunes but not much else?

Wow I'm quite impressed, white sand, blue sky... looks tropical.

Quick question, photogenically how was barra compared to Skye?

We really looked into Barra this year but our main concern was it seemed to lack, the height and drama that is on Skye, all seems very similar and not very dramatic? Beaches and sand dunes but not much else?

You're right in so far as Barra is quite flat and not as dramatic as Skye or the highlands of Scotland, it does, however, have a charm of it's own.

The outer Hebrides as a whole are quite flat until you get up to Harris & Lewis. Harris has some amazing beaches and hills, then you get up to Lewis and it's all mountains and rocks and bog etc. Reminds me a bit of Elgol!

I don't think I'd want to spend more than 48 hours or so on Barra if the weathers good, but I guess that depends on what you want from your holiday. There is plenty to shoot but if you want dramatic Scotland then go further North maybe.

These are great. I'm jealous too - we had a holiday on N. Uist a couple of years ago and loved it. There are many people who don't realise that the Scottish Islands have some fabulous beaches.

I lived on Benbecula for 3 1/2 years back in the early 80s with the Army. It really is a beautiful place. Only had pentax k1000 then. long gone now.

#3 for me, so tranquil. The lighting is perfect, blurring of the water looks great and I really like the foreground interest. A shot I would be royally proud of!

#2 and the last 2 hit the spot for me
lovely depth to them!

You wouldnt think thats in Scotland :O !! more like the carribean or something

I love them all amazing, do you use a polorizer.? xx

these are impressive, however, think coming back at better light would make them look even more so.

was planning wee summer trip to barra but funds dont allow, most def next year cause i wanna land on the beach and hopefully by then il have decent tripod and wideangle lens!

You wouldnt think thats in Scotland :O !! more like the carribean or something

I love them all amazing, do you use a polorizer.? xx

Indeed, amazing place.

Yes, a polariser has been used on these, but it was a cheapy 7dayshop one, hence the dark patches in the sky. It didn't get on with the sigma 10-20.

these are impressive, however, think coming back at better light would make them look even more so.

was planning wee summer trip to barra but funds dont allow, most def next year cause i wanna land on the beach and hopefully by then il have decent tripod and wideangle lens!

MYSELF said:
These are all off the borrowed d200. hence it being daytime as it was being used when the light was at it's best grrrrrr.

But yeah, I know what you mean. Gutted I was.

I actually love these shots, its great to think, I've been there. Oh how I love Uist and all it's glory.

Back