Barracks Bonanza (Grasstrack)

Name
Melissa
Edit My Images
No
Selection of photos taken on the 30th April at Dalton Barracks Grasstrack event, most am pleased with but am struggling with pin point sharpness. I tried most photos at 1/300-1/320 shutter speed as i was trying to capture some motion blur and used a monopod for the first time although mostly happy with my results any tips ideas would be welcome. Thank you

IMG_1429 (1).jpgIMG_1401 (1).jpgIMG_1371 (1).jpgIMG_1440.jpgIMG_1412.jpgIMG_1233 (1).jpg

Decent enough set IMO. Not perfect but shows plenty of promise.

My tips would be that for head/tail on shots, a faster shutter speed will help sharpness - you won't be getting any "nice" motion blur in them anyway (wheels and panning background). If possible, get the focus point on the rider's helmet, unless the sidecar passenger's face is particularly expressive of panic!
For the side on panning shots, I try to get the helmet as the focal point and tend to shoot bursts of 5 or so shots as the action goes past, with my body square on to the action for the middle shot of the burst. Then practise and practise and practise - at least digital shots are freely disposable!

Selection of photos taken on the 30th April at Dalton Barracks Grasstrack event, most am pleased with but am struggling with pin point sharpness. I tried most photos at 1/300-1/320 shutter speed as i was trying to capture some motion blur and used a monopod for the first time although mostly happy with my results any tips ideas would be welcome. Thank you

View attachment 388287View attachment 388289View attachment 388290View attachment 388296View attachment 388297View attachment 388299

First of all I think you have posted a nice set of images.

Panning is an art-form in its self and requires a lot of practice to become accomplished at it.

Personally I would suggest that you use a slower shutter speed, the bikes aren’t going that fast and a slower shutter speed would give you a lot more motion blur in the background and the wheels. However your keeper rate would be a lot lower.

I would also suggest that you ditch the monopod. Personally I find them more of a hindrance than a help as they interfere with the natural twisting movement of your body when you pan.

But at the end of the day it is all about personal preference, and what works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another.

Thank you for all of your comments all very helpful, I shall try all of this next time and see how I get on. :)

Reactions: Nod
Back