Basic PC advice

Took the advice (thank you to @Caerus) and ordered the HP Prodesk of ebay with the 6th Gen i5, 8GB DDR4 RAM and 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. Machine arrived within 3 days and is in excellent condition. Win 10 preinstalled and all drivers seem up to date. As for updating, the PC is very user friendly and internals easily accessible. An additional 8GB of RAM could be installed in less than 5 minutes.

I notice a slight improvement in using LR but (with limited use to date) i think the biggest saving will be importing and exporting files to the HDD. Still have to test Photoshop with layering of multiple images (stacking). I do recon it won't be long before i go for the additional RAM. A no brainer upgrade at less than £20.

If it doesn't have one, putting the OS on an SSD will make a huge difference in startup times and help running applications.

I would get a refurbished apple ...they don't have this "getting slow" thing like the windows! quited windows many years ago...

Took the advice (thank you to @Caerus) and ordered the HP Prodesk of ebay with the 6th Gen i5, 8GB DDR4 RAM and 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. Machine arrived within 3 days and is in excellent condition. Win 10 preinstalled and all drivers seem up to date. As for updating, the PC is very user friendly and internals easily accessible. An additional 8GB of RAM could be installed in less than 5 minutes.

I notice a slight improvement in using LR but (with limited use to date) i think the biggest saving will be importing and exporting files to the HDD. Still have to test Photoshop with layering of multiple images (stacking). I do recon it won't be long before i go for the additional RAM. A no brainer upgrade at less than £20.

Following this thread with great interest. Would very much appreciate your in-depth thoughts after you've had a chance to put the kit through it's paces.

Following this thread with great interest. Would very much appreciate your in-depth thoughts after you've had a chance to put the kit through it's paces.
Currently (over the past few nights) trying to get the PC loaded up with all the software (junk) i had on the last one. I ran a free programme Nova Bench on the new PC and it scored approx 970 whereas the old one before i disconnected it scored 640 give or take. Although the graphics card is inbuilt (i'm sure there's a better word but it's escaped me) just as the last one was, Lightroom seems to be able to use this to aid performance. That option was greyed out in the old PC.

I moved my LR Catalog to the SSD Drive (where LR sits) as opposed to my HDD where the RAW files are stored last night to see if that speeds things up. If there is space I might also move my RAW files to the SSD as well as i don't tend to keep RAW files, leaving the HDD free for all Exported final images.

@cmcm789 One further questing if I may. Does the new unit have a working LAN connection? Probably no WiFi but that's OK by me.

Back