Basingstoke 3 - 4 Eastleigh

MG TF 135

no chance of a new name
Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Back out with the camera and a change for me. I'm usually playing football but went to take photo's tonight. As usual for non league grounds the lighting is bad, so the ISO crept up as the game went on. Anyway have a look, see how i did.

#1 - Spot the ball
IMG_6417wm.jpg

#2 - Eastleigh 9 scores
IMG_6421wm.jpg

#3 - Offside
IMG_6443wm.jpg

IMG_6457wm.jpg

#5 - Free Kick
IMG_6451wm.jpg

#6 - Star of the game, Eastleigh 11
IMG_6477wm.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Don't know a thing about this kind of photography but thread caught my eye as the other half lives in Eastleigh.

I do know I really like number 3 though :D

Ah the delights of the Camrose.... is it still called that?
Have to agree #3 is just different so stands out.
As a side note, how did James Taylor play because I thought he was injured?
Anyway, had a look at the exif for these. What is the highest iso your camera gets too? as they need to be a little quicker on the shutter speed imo. One thing to remember in the darker times is to fill the frame in a light area of the pitch, all non-league grounds have light and dark areas so try and shoot in a lighter area. Normally under the floodlight posts, ha ha
#1 needs the ball, do you have the non comedy/next frame?
#4 needs the Eastleigh player in the frame
#5 needs to be tighter on the player
Don't be affraid of pushing the iso to get a better shutter, try and get a little lower when shooting as these look like you are stood up.
Just a couple of my thoughts
Shaun

It is indeed called the Camrose and it's still the windy, cold shed that it always was!! As for James Taylor........ confession i don't know as i don't normally frequent B'stokes games.

Highest ISO for my camera is 1600, which i was pushing too towards the end.

I was really looking to get a bit of practice at shooting sport. I play alot of sports, but when the body gives up i still want to be involved so photographing sport is the way i want to go.

I was a paying guest at the ground, so i had to stand on the outside of the pitch wall, hence the high POV.

Your comments are constructive, thanks, and i will try and remember for the next game i togg. Which will more than likely be a sunday league match.

James is the town striker in the first shot, I think!

My body gave up years ago, well it feels like it! but still kick about some Saturdays as and when required. Have fun as most Sunday league matches (if memory serves and the thought of the bruises) can be quite competitive.
Will post some footie shots to show high iso tonight, just so you get an idea of noise etc.

Shaun

Hi,

Very dificult subject matter to shoot so not helped by poor light.
A lot of the shots are soft and lack DOP. Understandable with low light, so if you have to to lose DOP, go tighter so that the backgroud OOF subjects dont become a distracting issue.

In shot 1 for instance, you could crop the top half out completely and go a bit tighter on the man two front players

Same with No2. Ignore the two red players with back to camera....go for full frame shot of keeper and ball :)

No 4 is getting there...nearly works, crop out the left half to lose the leg. Your getting closer in on the subject which is what you need to do :)

No 5 again is too far away from subject....zoom in to fill the frame, background is too distracting. You've pulled the trigger at the right moment, just needs to be tighter in.

Same with No6....tight in on the chap with ball and lose the distraction on the right.

More practice and it'll come. Good effort :)

What's it like shooting at Basing FBC. Never been there, but wondering about things like access, shooting positions, people issues etc. if one was shooting with big ol' 600mm. Or not recommended to be waving something like that around in the FBC...

Not easy under non-league lights is it?!!!

I've been to the Camrose a couple of times (won both games) but that was years ago. I have to be honest and say that if they were mine none would rate as keepers, but they're a good effort and don't stop trying. My advice for shooting under sub-standard lights is to look for a hotspot underneath one of the pylons and wait for the action to come to you rather than following it around.

My game on tuesday was away so and I didn't think they had very good lights last time I was there so I left the camera at home and videoed it instead. We won 5-0 to stay on course for the playoffs and possibly play at Basingstoke next year!

Back