B&W Bassenthwaite Lone Tree

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
The dead tree on the edge of Bassenthwaite, taken last December on a trip up to the Lake District, but only processed a couple of days ago. I went for a longer exposure to get some movement in the foreground grasses, and always had a black and white conversion in mind for this shot.
Comments, Thoughts and Criticism welcomed, especially on the mono conversion itself - an area I'm aiming to improve on.

Skeletal by JRTurnerPhotography, on Flickr

That's rather nice Jake.
The movement in the grass adds a certain "spooky" feel to the shot.

That's a nice shot Jake, well composed, nice foreground, and a full range of B&W tones.(y)

George.

Jake, I really like the top half of this, with the fantastic silhouette of the tree, the hill and lake, and the sky which has come well through the long exposure. The ghostly grasses in the middle area are perhaps a bit marmite- love them or dislike them- and I'm rather more on the latter side. However, I can't work ot what the near foreground is adding to the picture? I'd crop it a lot further up, personally. Can't comment on the conversion, but if that was Tmax100 I think I'd be pretty happy...

Jake, I really like the top half of this, with the fantastic silhouette of the tree, the hill and lake, and the sky which has come well through the long exposure. The ghostly grasses in the middle area are perhaps a bit marmite- love them or dislike them- and I'm rather more on the latter side. However, I can't work ot what the near foreground is adding to the picture? I'd crop it a lot further up, personally. Can't comment on the conversion, but if that was Tmax100 I think I'd be pretty happy...
Thanks for you comments Chris.
I understand ghostly grasses won't be everyones cup of tea.
For me a crop further up removes the compositional aid of the grasses, and renders them more as a distraction. The near foreground creates the base lead in for me, with the fallen grasses leading into the scene.

Ah Lightening Tree! They often never are, but its a good as name as any for a dead tree;). Also nice to see that I'm not the only one that processes there shots 4 months plus later:eek:.
Like the shot, I wont comment on the marmite as in my view if that's the look you were trying to achieve then you've done it, job done! To be fair, I never know myself always a dilemma, worst situation is when you have a with shot and without shot and your trying to determine which you like best :confused: and that's the killer for me (and I have some shots like that I'm processing now that's killing me, so I'll post them soon and let the forum decide:rolleyes:)

Anyhow like the shot, still have the texture at the bottom of the trunk running up into almost a silhouette at the top branches, great background clouds and hills. Really like the gradients in the cloud and the shutter speed has done good work here, Nice! Works well for me.
The Mono conversion, looks fine to me but then I'm by no means an aficionado on B&W in fact quite the reverse, so to my eyes it looks good Jake, but maybe someone that's a B&W person might have a different take.

Nice Work again Jake!

Ah Lightening Tree! They often never are, but its a good as name as any for a dead tree;). Also nice to see that I'm not the only one that processes there shots 4 months plus later:eek:.
Like the shot, I wont comment on the marmite as in my view if that's the look you were trying to achieve then you've done it, job done! To be fair, I never know myself always a dilemma, worst situation is when you have a with shot and without shot and your trying to determine which you like best :confused: and that's the killer for me (and I have some shots like that I'm processing now that's killing me, so I'll post them soon and let the forum decide:rolleyes:)

Anyhow like the shot, still have the texture at the bottom of the trunk running up into almost a silhouette at the top branches, great background clouds and hills. Really like the gradients in the cloud and the shutter speed has done good work here, Nice! Works well for me.
The Mono conversion, looks fine to me but then I'm by no means an aficionado on B&W in fact quite the reverse, so to my eyes it looks good Jake, but maybe someone that's a B&W person might have a different take.

Nice Work again Jake!
Thank you Steve, much appreciated :)
Normally I process straight away, but I could never get this one to my liking. I find a revisit a while later with a fresh head does wonders.

Fresh head must remember that one.......... Where can I get one;)

Back