Bat Watch!

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
OK...I know when I'm licked! You just get a half chance at these things and they're gone. :eek:

Nothing exciting folks I'm afraid.

Bat1.jpg

1:1 crop (different shot)
bat2.jpg

400 ISO Shutter Priority 1/250 @f4 with flash.

The Challenge is begun ... you are hooked Cedric ... just gotta keep on keeping on ... until ... :LOL:

When ... :shrug:

:p

I don't think I'll be pursuing it. :D Every time the bats give you a chance they're at a different height, and by the time you've seen them in the near darkness, they're halfway gone already. I missed a few altogether with a wide angle lens! You'd need a long lens and be pre-focusd on an area where you knew they were going to pass through to have any chance of a decent shot showing any detail.

CT said:
I don't think I'll be pursuing it. :D Every time the bats give you a chance they're at a different height, and by the time you've seen them in the near darkness, they're halfway gone already. I missed a few altogether with a wide angle lens! You'd need a long lens and be pre-focusd on an area where you knew they were going to pass through to have any chance of a decent shot showing any detail.

Or figure out where they land. :)

For a mo, I thought you were showing us your sensor dust :LOL:
Looks like a challenge and a half to me :)

LOL. Thanks Cheryl. I must admit I expected it to be difficult, but I had no inkling just how difficult it would be. There's an interesting read with contributers who are experts at it HERE.

At Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, millions of bats leave the caves at night, and despite being pre-focused on an area where they can capture lots of bats passing through, and having sophisticated strobe flash arrangements, and remote sensor triggers, pin sharp shots of bats in flight, are virtually non existent. It seems that the few sharp shots you do see are taken of captive bats in controlled studio environments.

A few incredibly patient individuals have had some success by baiting sticks protruding out just over water, and catching the bats as they swoop low to take the bait.

Seeing as my Pipistrelles are such tiny little things; probably smaller than a sparrow, I don't think I'll bother making it my lifes work to try and photograph them. :D

funny little buggers aint they...

Back