Beginner Batis 25/2 vs Sony 28/2 vs Sony 20G for travel/family photography?

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for a wide lens for travel and family photography.
I have CV40mm 1.2, but manual focus is most of the time painful.

So thought I would also ask here - what do you guys think?
I'm leaning towards Batis 25/2. Superb 20G might be too wide for my needs.
I had 28/2 and felt I could use wider.
So Now trying to find good used Batis 25/2 - is this good for one lens travel photos? (I prefer travel light, no extra equipment).
I have Sony A7II by the way...

20 is too wide for family photography in my opinion, loads of Batis 25's around at dealers, prices vary enormously.

20 is too wide for family photography in my opinion, loads of Batis 25's around at dealers, prices vary enormously.

Yeah, is £550 a good price for used Batis?

There is also Sigma 24/2, same price for new.

Hi, I own and use the Batis on the SONY A7R2. It is a very good lens.

However - I also own and use the LOXIA 2,8/21, which is extremely good, and wider for landscape.

I would also consider this, if you can live without AF and want a less bulky lens ...

I also own and use the SONY 2/28, a good, light and compact lens. great for family pics, but not wide enough for landscape, I think ...

Last edited:
I have the Sony 20mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.

The 20mm is excellent so I suppose it depends what sort of photography you want to do as if you want a person to fill the frame or are likely to tilt the camera up or down perspective distortion better be your friend, but take care and think about what you're doing and really see the scene you're about to capture when you press the button and a 20mm will get you some great pictures. The 28mm is smaller and lighter and is sharp and fast in operation and IMO it gives nice IQ after a lens profile has been applied. You're still going to have to watch perspective distortion though.

I have no idea about the Batis but there's a Batis 25 v Sony 28mm review here...

I can't say that I've found the 28mm to give obviously smeared corners but if he's looking at shots taken at f2 and pixel peeping the corners at 100% I suppose that explains it.

Of the three the OP lists, I'd take the much cheaper 28mm f2 but left to my own devises I'd choose the Sony 35mm f2.8 or f1.8.

Good luck choosing but as 24mm has been mentioned another I'd look at is the Sony 24mm f2.8 G. I have one and after a lens profile has been applied I think the IQ is good and it's tiny and weighs next to nothing, It's also quite wide so again, care will need to be taken.

Last edited:
Back