Beginner Batteries

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Man this little finepix is killing me with batteries, yes I know I should get rechargable, but this thing is using 12 AA batteries a week, I dont use it every day, but it is always on and off for me to look at different things on the camera, or to pull images from it, even so they could have found a better way than using AA batteries lol.

Man this little finepix is killing me with batteries, yes I know I should get rechargable, but this thing is using 12 AA batteries a week, I dont use it every day, but it is always on and off for me to look at different things on the camera, or to pull images from it, even so they could have found a better way than using AA batteries lol.
Another of the reasons photographers quickly steer away from consumer cameras. The battery consumption isn’t designed for heavy use.

But yes; buy some decent rechargeable batteries, not only do they pay for themselves quite quickly, but they’re much better for the environment. There’s no good reason to ever buy AA or AAA disposable batteries

If you haven't already thought about it, another way to save money on batteries is to get a card reader and use it to move your images to a less hungry device.

This one, shown next to the tiny Ixus 70, to give you an idea of how small they can be, is for use with standard USB sockets, as found on older computers. You can get different ones to plug into phones and tablets. They also give you a safety copy of your images.

SD card reader with Ixus 70 D600 D60_5031.JPG

There’s no good reason to ever buy AA or AAA disposable batteries

I wish that were true! I have stacks of rechargeable but there are still some (non photographic) devices that require disposable -- due to the voltage difference I assume :(.

Rechargable is the way to go if your camera model is compatable. That said if your using normall AA batteries try different brands, all are not created equal. Dont rely on a big brand name for quality.

I wish that were true! I have stacks of rechargeable but there are still some (non photographic) devices that require disposable -- due to the voltage difference I assume :(.
The only devices I have that require alkaline batteries are flash triggers.
Grandkids toys, remote controls wireless computer peripherals all work perfectly with rechargeables

Thanks for reminding me Andrew Flannigan, I have one of those lol, never even thought agout it. Thanks everyone I have ordered 8 rechargable batteries for the camera. The wife says I can have a new camera if I want one (would be looking a used), but having taken Phil V's advice, I am just going to take pictures and learn a bit from this camera first, it produces reasonable images when i get things right. I am still finding thinks on this camera I did not know about, like in "S" mode ("shutter priority) I have found a sub menu where you can pick the type of scene you are shooting. it has such things as ,portrait, baby mode, sport, landscape, night mode, fireworks etc etc. not sure how useful they are but we will see lol.

The only devices I have that require alkaline batteries are flash triggers.
Grandkids toys, remote controls wireless computer peripherals all work perfectly with rechargeables
In my case both medical: blood pressure monitor & pulse oximeter. Both say non-rechargeable and although they seem to function with rechargeable it’s impossible to be certain they are giving true readings :(

Thanks for reminding me Andrew Flannigan, I have one of those lol, never even thought agout it. Thanks everyone I have ordered 8 rechargable batteries for the camera. The wife says I can have a new camera if I want one (would be looking a used), but having taken Phil V's advice, I am just going to take pictures and learn a bit from this camera first, it produces reasonable images when i get things right. I am still finding thinks on this camera I did not know about, like in "S" mode ("shutter priority) I have found a sub menu where you can pick the type of scene you are shooting. it has such things as ,portrait, baby mode, sport, landscape, night mode, fireworks etc etc. not sure how useful they are but we will see lol.

You have nothing to loose by trying the scene modes, however they don’t do anything that you can’t already do using Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority. In fact all they actually do is change the default settings of the camera. But as I said you have nothing to loose by trying them, and if they help you, then all is well and good.

For example the Sport Mode. It puts the priority on using a fast shutter-speed. But it doesn’t know what sport you are photographing, how fast the action is, and whether or not you want to freeze the action or blur the action. So the settings that the camera chooses may not be the best for the type of photograph that you want to take.

For motorsport it is best to use shutter priority, as you need to create some motion blur in the photograph otherwise the bike/car will look like it is parked up in a carpark. For most other sports aperture priority is best, as that way you will be using the fastest possible shutter-speed for the amount of available light, and if the the light fades you just increase the ISO.

But at the end of the day you just need to experiment and find out what works best for you. There is no right or wrong in this.

The car is shutter priority @ 1/6 of a second.
The bike is shutter priority @ 1/250 of a second.
The water splash is aperture priority @ 1/1600 of a second.
The jump is aperture priority @ 1/800 of a second.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks L320Rio, so much to try and get my head around lol. and that for a man who forgets where his glasses are lol, never mind whats in what menu or sub menu.
PS I love that first photo

Back