Battersea Power Station

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
From a recent trip to London. All was going well until some jobsworth SIA licence holder told me I couldn't take photos, as it was an iconic building (??)

Battersea Power Station by G- Slev, on Flickr

I like that. The processing works ...

Here's something ...

As our development is private property with public access, we do not permit professional photography or professional photography equipment without prior permission, however visitors to Battersea Power Station are permitted to take photographs or videos for personal, non-commercial use in our public areas. All other uses require prior permission from Battersea Power Station Development Company. We request that visitors show consideration for the privacy and dignity of others when taking any photographs including when photographing our buildings and apartments from the outside.

Here's something ...

As our development is private property with public access, we do not permit professional photography or professional photography equipment without prior permission, however visitors to Battersea Power Station are permitted to take photographs or videos for personal, non-commercial use in our public areas. All other uses require prior permission from Battersea Power Station Development Company. We request that visitors show consideration for the privacy and dignity of others when taking any photographs including when photographing our buildings and apartments from the outside.

So, the reply to jobsworth could be "I'm an amateur and the owners policy specifically allows amateur photography."?

It's an interesting shot and processing Gary. Very nice! :D

Here's something ...

I suppose it comes down to what you define as "professional photography equipment"!

So, the reply to jobsworth could be "I'm an amateur and the owners policy specifically allows amateur photography."?
So, the reply to jobsworth could be "the building is iconic, you are ironic. Can I take a piccy of you too?"

So, the reply to jobsworth could be "the building is iconic, you are ironic. Can I take a piccy of you too?"

Marvellous! I hate those "testing security/audit" YouTube channels, where photographers/videographers go looking for an argument. But some SIA folk don't help themselves....

I suppose it comes down to what you define as "professional photography equipment"!
That’s impossible to define as any camera etc can be used “professionally“, presumably meaning “for money”.

Maybe, but to be honest that must be waaay over my head as I've just got no idea what you mean.

Faced with a security guard saying you can't take pictures I assume there are two choices, pack up and move on or politely state that the owners policy allows amateur photography in the hope the guard will go away. OK a third option may be to argue but I wouldn't, there's no point and the picture just wouldn't be that important to me. How this all becomes ironic or argumentative I have no idea but I wouldn't have a problem with a guard taking my picture if they wanted to. I'd see it as rather odd but I'd play along.

I've only once been told not to take pictures by a security guard, in Kazakhstan and he was armed and clearly not amused so I apologised and moved on. Faced with an unarmed guard in the UK I think I'd politely state an alternative view to theirs if I was sure enough... but mostly, why bother? Move on.

Last edited:
That’s impossible to define as any camera etc can be used “professionally“, presumably meaning “for money”.

No - but someone turning up with a large DSLR, or Mirrorless with big lens, on a tripod, using the camera in a considered way is much more likely to be a professional than some tourist with a map in their hand pointing some bridge camera, held with one hand - with the thing about 1 foot in front of their face.

Yes, any camera can be used professionally but think as to what is most likely to go hand in professional use.

It's a boring job being a security guard. I’ve done it when I was a student, mainly at night when the main reason people employed them was insurance companies insisted as a fire precaution and at the time this led to one of the security employees starting fires for the kudos!

If people don’t want their buildings photographed they should cover them up :LOL: . The only reasonable objection is over obstruction or inconvenience caused and that’s how the rules should be framed, not around photography.

How this all becomes ironic or argumentative I have no idea but ...
Oh no! I would not say it in an argumentative way. I would chat in a friendly manner to the guard, might point out the irony in what he had said: no photos, as it was an iconic building.

There's other Iconic buildings and architecture in London such as The Shard, The Gherkin, The Walkie Talkie, St.Pauls, Big Ben, London Bridge, London Eye and never heard of anyone making a fuss over photography in those areas. As stated by dood as long as the photos are for personal non commercial use then you should be fine to take photos.

Hi @Vitalic ... you may be surprised to know many icons have private land attached: the Gherkin, the Eye, are two examples of places where you can get questioned and moved on. Take a step back and you may no longer be on what is technically private yet public thoroughfare.

Hi @Vitalic ... you may be surprised to know many icons have private land attached: the Gherkin, the Eye, are two examples of places where you can get questioned and moved on. Take a step back and you may no longer be on what is technically private yet public thoroughfare.
Yeah I figured that if you were outside you'd be fine but inside the building or a restricted area then no and yeah come to think of it I have heard on YouTube of situations like you have described.

Back