Beach Flare

From what I've seen I like the colour rendition and fine details in Velvia 50. I've got 3 rolls of it but haven't shot any yet as I can't home dev it.

Anyways, nice test, I like the flare :) stunning colours

From what I've seen I like the colour rendition and fine details in Velvia 50. I've got 3 rolls of it but haven't shot any yet as I can't home dev it.

Thanks Danny. The problem I have is that whilst when its good, its very good indeed, it is about the most unforgiving film I have shot (which isn't that many!). Exposure needs to be spot on or you end up with a muddy mess and scanning is a right pain in the bum, at least with vuescan and my canoscan 9000f. I found the 100iso more forgiving and a tad less blue. Its all academic as I have decided to go all B&W on film at present! ;)

hey Jim, if you've any leftover Velvia 50 you want rid of you knw who to call ;) ...

(though I know what you mean about scanning/exposure lattitude - fortunately, most of my stuff on Velvia ends up getting projected rather than scanned, and as for exposure... I do my best, and bracket, bracket, bracket :LOL:)

hey Jim, if you've any leftover Velvia 50 you want rid of you knw who to call ;) ...

(though I know what you mean about scanning/exposure lattitude - fortunately, most of my stuff on Velvia ends up getting projected rather than scanned, and as for exposure... I do my best, and bracket, bracket, bracket :LOL:)

Too late! I actually flogged my last 3 rolls here a couple of weeks ago. My total colour film stock is now two rolls of Ektar 100 in 35mm. Quite frankly its not worth selling as I tend to do so at a knock down rate and after postage I would get naff all! I just need to decide on my favourite 100 and 400 iso B&W so I can stock up. I have to develop the rolls of Tri-X, 100 TMAX and Across I have knocking around but I think I may just end up with HP5+ for 400...

Your not thinking of using that for portraits are you? I would strongly recommend avoiding Velvia 50 for them as it oversaturates pink/orange skin tones to red so they look extremely sunburnt.

Your not thinking of using that for portraits are you? I would strongly recommend avoiding Velvia 50 for them as it oversaturates pink/orange skin tones to red so they look extremely sunburnt.

People do look funny on Velvia!

I don't care - if there's anyone in my photo's I'm going to hate the shot anyway :)

Not in a fashion shot with a make up artist they wont :cool:

If it's that bad I'll adjust the colors in PS or scan as a DNG file and tickle the RAW file.

If I never try, I'll never know. I've seen some stunning beauty work shot on Velvia so intend to give it a bash

Not in a fashion shot with a make up artist they wont :cool:

If it's that bad I'll adjust the colors in PS or scan as a DNG file and tickle the RAW file.

If I never try, I'll never know. I've seen some stunning beauty work shot on Velvia so intend to give it a bash

Good luck with that! It will be interesting to see the results. I have trouble controlling the colours to something vaguely realistic on landscape shots.

Good luck with that! It will be interesting to see the results. I have trouble controlling the colours to something vaguely realistic on landscape shots.

I sense sarcasm, lol. I'll be shooting that portra I've been dribbling over though as well, so if the velvia stuff's a right off I'm not too fussed! :bonk:

Back