Bear Killers v's The Centurions

tigerimages

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I paid a visit to the Forest of Dean yesterday (only ever go in daylight!) to see Cinderford Town v's Cirencester Town and give my 40D and Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 a trial. I was happy with the results. Are these any good?

Cinderford's Scott Griffin "wins" a free kick, he's good at that!

Cinderford's Craig Tait is given room to shoot outside the area...

...and scores!

Cue celebrations

Cirencester's Jamie Reid has a word in a teammates ear

Ciren's Matt Williams slots the ball home for the equaliser...

...as Cinderford keeper Matt Bath can only stand and watch...

Last edited:

...but the lino has different ideas

Whilst Bath has to work hard against banana wielding sex pest Julian Alsop

Griffin does remarkably well to control a ball dinked over his shoulder

Matt Williams scores Ciren's one goal that stood - they had three disallowed

It didn't last though, Jody Bevan scored Cinderford's second (I know, no ball!)

More crazy Forest celebrations

Reidy does a clearance for the cameras

Last edited:

"We're not worthy, we're not worthy"

An unknown Cinderford player (one of the Welsh lot) with the headed clearance

Steve Cowe, who once cost £250,000 is only a substitute nowadays

The Can Can

Ciren's Nathan Haisley leaps for a high ball...

...and bundles it in...

...only to see his celebrations cut short by the linesman's flag

Thanks for looking, C&C appreciated.

You can view the full gallery here :)

Nice & sharp tigerimages,however, what f stop did you shoot at? for a siggy 120- 300 the depth is way to much!, it looks like all the action was in the opposing goal mouth (always happens to me too):), way too far to use the fantastic focal seperation of the lens.
I know you like to tell a story with your shots which i do like seeing, but why pay all that brass for a fast lens if you don't use it's potental??.
I don't wish to sound holier than thou here but when I bought my 300 2.8 it took some getting used to!. Try waiting for the action to come into the sweet spot of a f2.8 lens!,(even if you close it down a stop or 2). By all means pop away with your other lens & camera to capture the photojournalist aspect but, given some of your past postings, I look forward to some very good action shots from your new lens :). Kind regards Graham.

Nice set there mate.

So the Lens isn't the problem then ?

Just one quote from your set that im not sure about though.......

It didn't last though, Jody Bevan scored Ciren's second (I know, no ball!)

Are you sure (y)

Nice set there mate.

So the Lens isn't the problem then ?

Just one quote from your set that im not sure about though.......

It didn't last though, Jody Bevan scored Ciren's second (I know, no ball!)

Are you sure (y)
Well spotted. Fixed!

Nah, it's the 50D thats fuxored.
Nice & sharp tigerimages,however, what f stop did you shoot at? for a siggy 120- 300 the depth is way to much!, it looks like all the action was in the opposing goal mouth (always happens to me too):), way too far to use the fantastic focal seperation of the lens.
I know you like to tell a story with your shots which i do like seeing, but why pay all that brass for a fast lens if you don't use it's potental??.
I don't wish to sound holier than thou here but when I bought my 300 2.8 it took some getting used to!. Try waiting for the action to come into the sweet spot of a f2.8 lens!,(even if you close it down a stop or 2). By all means pop away with your other lens & camera to capture the photojournalist aspect but, given some of your past postings, I look forward to some very good action shots from your new lens :). Kind regards Graham.
I don't do manual, I shoot on TV when it's nice and AV when it's not so. I set the shutter speed to 1250 and let rip.

Yesterday was more about getting used to using a monopd to be honest, but I'll keep any tips on board for future use :)

Ditto to what the others said. The separation of the subject from the background is missing because the aperture is too small. If I were you I'd stick it on f/2.8 and then keep an eye on your shutter speed. If it drops below 1/1000th or so then pop the ISO up a bit.

You might as well be shooting with a £200 f/5.6 300mm lens there. Use the 2.8 - it's what you paid the extra for.

Back