"beauty dish" softbox

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering if anyone has any experience and / or opinions about of these:

I would presume and hope that these are essentially regular softboxes with everything on, perhaps minus the silver disc inside but can't see why it should hurt. Is that so.
And are they of any use in the "alternative" config without the outer material?

Finally build quality (concerns over lencarta QC vs added egg crate cover that is missing from pixapro one), and then white vs silver. I guess Silver?!

Shame there is no more 120 cm as I was really hoping to get that or even larger. If you say there is little point there 120cm fiddly godox one for under £50. It can't be THAT bad surely.

Lencarta have a new range, I've seen them and they're pretty good (and look great), although I haven't had a chance to actually try them yet. I've just looked on their website and can't find them, so it may be worth hanging on for a while.

The choice of silver or white isn't always easy. Silver is more dramatic but white is much more forgiving. So, as I'm not the politically-correct type . . . If you're photographing a beautiful young model with perfect skin then use silver, if you're photographing her granny use white:)

Basically, what you get is a folding beauty dish with a couple of extra diffusers that turn it into a softbox.

In terms of quality of effect, if you want the very best then sell your car and buy a Mola one. If you want something good but affordable by a good metal non-Mola one, and if you want something that's cheap, easier to use and much lighter and which takes up far less space, buy a folding one. They aren't quite as good as a perfectly round metal one but they'e good enough for me.

I have to clarify this would be primarily used in a softbox configuration, so anything else is just a bonus. I can't say I'm very confident throwing hard light around but making it much bigger makes it more manageable by an order of magnitude.

I have to clarify this would be primarily used in a softbox configuration, so anything else is just a bonus. I can't say I'm very confident throwing hard light around but making it much bigger makes it more manageable by an order of magnitude.
I've gotta ask - why go for the beauty dish type if mostly you want a regular softbox?

But yeah I have the Lencarta white 90cm one and it works well as a softbox with the diffuser attached, and well as a BD too. I bought the 90cm cos I already have a 120cm Octabox.

I have a small silver one (that they no longer sell: 100cm is your only option now). I chose this size pretty much for the same reason as Phil - I already have large softboxes, and an actual beauty dish, although that is not practical to carry about. The Lencarta folding beauty dish is well built, and easy to assemble, although you'll need to hold it down on the floor, and click each of the 16 rods in separately - it's not something you'd want to repeatedly erect and dismantle during the day, but still much faster to assemble than a traditional loose-rod octabox. I tend to use it in strong sunlight, as key or fill - on a Safari II - and it makes nice shiny images with spiky highlights (with the option of smoothing those out with the diffuser making it into a softbox) I do also use it in the studio as it's nice and light and easy to handle on a boom (usually on the equally light Safari head):-

1650324816909.jpeg1650324859411.jpeg1650324927417.jpeg

(spot the rookie error on shot 2 - this is run-and-gun stuff!)

I'm waiting for someone to start selling the SMDV Speedbox Flip - but with a grid: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003225875658.html
Setup and teardown in about a second, and the speedring folds completely flat against the rods. This is ideal for shooting on the street moving quickly from one location to another.

I see @Garry Edwards has recently written a very nice blog post on softboxes that I think you'll find useful: https://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting-blog/which-is-the-right-softbox-for-you/

Attachments

• 1650325703789.jpeg
    1650325703789.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have a small silver one (that they no longer sell: 100cm is your only option now). I chose this size pretty much for the same reason as Phil - I already have large softboxes, and an actual beauty dish, although that is not practical to carry about. The Lencarta folding beauty dish is well built, and easy to assemble, although you'll need to hold it down on the floor, and click each of the 16 rods in separately - it's not something you'd want to repeatedly erect and dismantle during the day, but still much faster to assemble than a traditional loose-rod octabox. I tend to use it in strong sunlight, as key or fill - on a Safari II - and it makes nice shiny images with spiky highlights (with the option of smoothing those out with the diffuser making it into a softbox) I do also use it in the studio as it's nice and light and easy to handle on a boom (usually on the equally light Safari head):-

View attachment 350525View attachment 350526View attachment 350527

(spot the rookie error on shot 2 - this is run-and-gun stuff!)

I'm waiting for someone to start selling the SMDV Speedbox Flip - but with a grid: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003225875658.html
Setup and teardown in about a second, and the speedring folds completely flat against the rods. This is ideal for shooting on the street moving quickly from one location to another.

I see @Garry Edwards has recently written a very nice blog post on softboxes that I think you'll find useful: https://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting-blog/which-is-the-right-softbox-for-you/
I've just looked at the blog article @Scooter mentioned and see that it links to the new beauty dish/softbox that I mentioned, meaning that it IS on the website after all. Completely new design with external ribs.

Well, bearing in mind that I've only looked at it and haven't tried it out yet . . .
The external rods are much more attractive, and it's quicker and easier to assemble/dissemble. But the main benefit should be that the inside is as close to perfectly round as possible, and light can't bounce off of rods that aren't there.

For what subjects/situations, and for use with what light?

For what subjects/situations, and for use with what light?
I can answer the latter part. Any of AD600Pro, AD200/Pro with AD-B2 in mono or dual config.

The rest will probably quite broad range of applications from portraits, to any commercial / product shots. So essentially looking for a good large allrounder to complement my strip boxes, smaller rectangular saltboxes and a collection of umbrellas. Same (i.e. anything) goes for locations from small homes to warehouses to outdoors.

Then I would suggest just getting a 120cm easy Octa like the Lencarta profold, Westcott rapid, etc, which will be more suitable for the large/soft requirements. Most things that suit harder light/fill can be done with just the AD600/200 bare/fresnel.

I've just looked at the blog article @Scooter mentioned and see that it links to the new beauty dish/softbox that I mentioned, meaning that it IS on the website after all. Completely new design with external ribs.
My apologies Garry - I was looking at this https://www.lencarta.com/shop-products/lighting-modifiers/beauty-dishes

There is a link to an 80cm one under your blog post for sure (right next to the "90cm parabolic softbox" :oops: :$ ) The one I have is about 60cm I reckon.

Oh, Don't apologise Owen. I understand that a lot of work is being done to improve the website, but right now I do struggle a bit to find things there.
There is a link to an 80cm one under your blog post for sure (right next to the "90cm parabolic softbox" :oops: :$ ) The one I have is about 60cm I reckon.
People seem to like these "parabolic" softboxes, and retailers have to sell what people like:(

From memory, you used the 40cm metal one on the flour shoot that you did in the Lencarta studio, that design was available in both 40 and 70cm and I nearly always used the 40cm one. And yes, from memory you bought the 60cm folding one. IMO that's the best size for most people but again, a lot of customers seem to think that bigger is always better, and they often don't even consider whether their ceiling height is sufficient

I went to Pixapro showroom yesterday as they are reasonably close (well 1hr away). I looked at 120cm easy open version and in the end picked up the old godox version for 1/2 cost as a stopgap choice. I had some concerns over build quality of the fancy one. Bowens ring appeared to be very weak, and I wasn't sure I want umbrella system in such a heavy and large item. Maybe I'm too paranoid but these metal junctures are always the ones to eventually fail. Light was actually very even on that model except for some weird random specular highlights on the outer edge. These may or may not amount to anything in real work. The godox one is flatter, and there is some light falloff from the centre. I think I will try to rectify that by DYI addition of deflector disc. There are 4 screwholes so with some clever wire attachment it should be there 10-15cm away. The other annoying thing is it only measures 110cm on the outer diffuser! So it is not HUGE just merely big. The "old" lencarta version might still be of interest, but again it is only 100 or perhaps just 90cm in real life. Or maybe the ridiculous looking Godox QR-P120. I'd really like to test one first.
As it appears playing with the gear before pulling out CC is very informative and useful step. It was interesting to see their stands so I don't ever have to buy them, the V1 flash which is nothing like the amazing H200R head for Ad200.
I also got 130cm deep shoot through umbrella, which may possibly be useful for interior shoots in some situations where the regular 100cm ones gives trouble. It is frankly too cumbersome to be the go to tool. 160cm just has no chance of being useful apart from like mansion halls.

Maybe this needs another thread, but has anyone compared Westcott 7ft silver umbrella with 160cm Godox / Pixapro one?? Or can at least comment on Westcott - it is really just 170cm diagonal as reviews on WEX say? Is the brolly shaft wobbly as GODOX one? This was the thing that scared me.

Oh, Don't apologise Owen. I understand that a lot of work is being done to improve the website, but right now I do struggle a bit to find things there.

People seem to like these "parabolic" softboxes, and retailers have to sell what people like:(

From memory, you used the 40cm metal one on the flour shoot that you did in the Lencarta studio, that design was available in both 40 and 70cm and I nearly always used the 40cm one. And yes, from memory you bought the 60cm folding one. IMO that's the best size for most people but again, a lot of customers seem to think that bigger is always better, and they often don't even consider whether their ceiling height is sufficient
Yeah there are a few gaps in Lencarta's product range tbh (from my pov anyway) - eg no projection attachments. Godox also now have a nice looking 10" Fresnel attachment too that someone needs to start selling! Plus some mainstream studio grip wouldn't go amiss - superclamps, pins, grip-heads, gaffer tape, gels etc. What I did just buy from Lencarta though is an extension cord for the AD200 and a Godox AD-S13 - a really nice collapsible boom arm for location work. I've been using a monopod for this for years, but the spigot for the light is on the heavy (thick) end. The S13 has a standard spigot at both ends, which means I can put an AD200 body on the handle end and a remote head via the extension cord on the thin end. An assistant can hand-hold it or you can mount it via a superclamp on a stand. https://www.lencarta.com/handheld-f...k-arm-with-spigot-ends-godox-ad200-compatible

Here it is built up this afternoon: View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcltIkSsjXn/

Yep - still going that 40cm one - the honeycomb has a couple of cracks in it but it's still in regular use. Here's the 60cm folding one in use as a softbox (but with the deflector plate in place instead of the inner baffle) on the Safari in my compact studio, along with 3 SF600 heads and an AD200 for the centre backlight. Floor drier on the left to lift the hair.
1650481296929.png1650481441837.png

and result (not the shot on the studio laptop which was a later image with blue fog).. single artwork for a track called "321" by Hitachi Sounds - Estonian purveyor of electronica

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/owenlloyd/49868047057/in/dateposted-public/

Yes, this thread has wandered way off-topic - but it's interesting:)

Personally, equipment doesn't interest me much. I spent my working life as a photographer and I ran my business in a businesslike way, avoiding spending any money on equipment that I didn't actually need to, because overspending is the path to failure. My meanness aside, there were few choices anyway, as very little equipment was available for many years, we had to bodge, make and modify. My studio had a non-public area that contained a sawbench, pillar drill, angle grinder, hand tools, paint, sheets of ply, hardboard, foamcore and so on, gaffer tape etc so that I could build sets and make the essentials that couldn't be bought. I was also lucky in that I was sponsored by various manufacturers, so needed to buy very little anyway.

Then, about 10 years ago, everything changed. Godox started to dominate the market and, today, they completely dominate it and most of their competitors have gone. This is a Curate's Egg, both good and bad. The good thing (initially at least) is that a much wider and deeper range of products became available at low prices. Godox deserve their success. I can't say that I know their CEO but I've met him a few times and he impressed me.

The bad thing(s) are that they are constantly updating and expanding their range and every new product comes in at a higher price (which is what always happens whenever there is a monopoly) and that profit margins for re-sellers, always very low on Godox products, became even lower, with re-sellers having to compete with each other to sell everything for £1 less. The effect of this is that "customer service items" - the things that customers like to see in the shop but which only sell very slowly - become too expensive to stock, because stock that just sits in the warehouse is just dead money.

And of course there are other factors too. The fall in the £ exchange rate, coronavirus and (although I don't want to stray into politics) Brexit, together with massive increases to the cost of both sea and air transport, wage inflation and so on.

The result of this is that retailers now have to choose between offering outstanding customer service, which includes checking that everything they sell is actually a good product, and carrying high levels of expensive stock.

So, what's the answer?

My answer is to buy only the things that we actually need, learn how to make do and mend, learn the physics of lighting (pretty simple really) and practice, practice, practice.

Wescott's 7ft measurement is the circumference... it's diameter is 70" (178cm). I've never seen/used a large Godox modifier in person...
Godox (pixapro) looks good but feels a bit like fishing rod and definitely looks a little bent in horizontal setup. Do I just take that or do they get better with other brands

Godox (pixapro) looks good but feels a bit like fishing rod and definitely looks a little bent in horizontal setup. Do I just take that or do they get better with other brands
IME, they all flex if you are out towards the end using a reflector on the head. But if you are in tight using bare bulb/diffuser they flex much less.

IME, they all flex if you are out towards the end using a reflector on the head. But if you are in tight using bare bulb/diffuser they flex much less.
Sure, the arm length is key to stability. I wonder why they can't make them of same diameter stainless steel tubes like the ones you can buy from B&Q for like £3 per meter? They are already mega heavy so 100g won't change a thing.

I'm commenting here on the product type, not on the supplier or the specific item here . . .
You can buy anything you want, at a price, but it's all about the laws of supply and demand, and something better will cost a great deal more.

A simple analogy: I carry a small 3-ton hydraulic trolley Jack in my car, I think it cost about £70. If I wanted something built to last and with a bit more lifting capacity I'd have to add a 0 to the price. My car is a large, heavy off-roader and my jack will lift either the front or back wheels off the ground, just about. If I was a professional mechanic I'd get something much more substantial, but it would cost a lot more, would be a lot heavier and would take up a lot more space in the car - but I'm not a pro mechanic and it's good enough for my purpose, just.

The "80%" business rule applies here.. If the product is acceptable to 80% of their customers retailers tend to feel that it's the right product to sell. The heavyweight professionals who need something much better, much more H&S compliant and much more expensive aren't their target customer base anyway.

When I had a pro studio I would have gone for a true professional solution but, now that I'm an occasional-use amateur I'm happy to live with something that's not quite perfect, as long as it actually works.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience and / or opinions about of these:

I would presume and hope that these are essentially regular softboxes with everything on, perhaps minus the silver disc inside but can't see why it should hurt. Is that so.
And are they of any use in the "alternative" config without the outer material?

Finally build quality (concerns over lencarta QC vs added egg crate cover that is missing from pixapro one), and then white vs silver. I guess Silver?!

Shame there is no more 120 cm as I was really hoping to get that or even larger. If you say there is little point there 120cm fiddly godox one for under £50. It can't be THAT bad surely.

I've got a Lencarta folding beauty dish. I think it's about 80cm across but I can't remember exactly. I've had it a while so the design may have changed but if it hasn't then avoid.

The deflector disk is mounted on a single rod and held in place by just one bolt. That means it often rotates to a position where it isn't doing any good and I don't notice until I look closely at an image. The disk is so flimsy that it can easily be bent out of shape even if it doesn't rotate.

The deflector disk is mounted a long way from the flash tube. Consequently it's easy for light to bypass the disk and hit the subject directly. For example, you might get a nice beauty dish lighting pattern on the face but bright hard edged light on the legs.

Consequelty I never use it as a beauty dish, only as a softbox.

Unfortunately it's a git to put up or down. I never bother. If you want a folding softbox there are better choices.

Back