Beckenham Place Park

Yes the pond is not very attractive but I guess it is what it is ㋡. Looks like a work in progress from the tree “logs”. The view of the mansion is interesting to me as I used, for some years, walk my dogs there twice a day 25+ years ago but never saw the house since I was in the woodland side. I see they have done away with the golf course and put in a big lake which would probably have ruined it for me.

It used to amuse me (not a lot!) that Lewisham “a nuclear free borough” as they used to announce in signs on lamp posts, employed people to sweep up the leaves in the woodland and then set fire to them. The abandoned smouldering leaves would then set fire to the peaty soil until a decent rainfall put them out. They also had a permanent huge bonfire on the other side of the railway bridge which seemed always to be smouldering — no idea why it was there near the playing fields.

There used to parakeets nesting in tree hollows near the railway on thst (playing field) side.

Yes the pond is not very attractive but I guess it is what it is ㋡. Looks like a work in progress from the tree “logs”. The view of the mansion is interesting to me as I used, for some years, walk my dogs there twice a day 25+ years ago but never saw the house since I was in the woodland side. I see they have done away with the golf course and put in a big lake which would probably have ruined it for me.

It used to amuse me (not a lot!) that Lewisham “a nuclear free borough” as they used to announce in signs on lamp posts, employed people to sweep up the leaves in the woodland and then set fire to them. The abandoned smouldering leaves would then set fire to the peaty soil until a decent rainfall put them out. They also had a permanent huge bonfire on the other side of the railway bridge which seemed always to be smouldering — no idea why it was there near the playing fields.

There used to parakeets nesting in tree hollows near the railway on thst (playing field) side.

Ah very cool, I also had my dog with me this day - I took a few more further shots closer to the mansion itself. I should add them later on.

You're right yes, there's now a lake which is used for swimming and it was proving popular on the day I went, alongside some other random water activities!

I'm sure that permanent smouldering pile you mentioned is now where a skatepark now lives.

As for the parakeets.... they're as common as pigeons around here now! I remember when there was only a small handful, I believe it started from the Shirley area - could be wrong though hah.

Back